BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Popping noise

I purchased a Dazon 150cc buggy. Have only rode it hard today with my son.
Great machine. I have one question about when climbing a slight hill turning hard at a good speed a pop noise comes from the back. It doesn't slow or anything. It's only one loud pop until the next similiar turn. I'm thinking it may have been the chain may have been a little loose. I noticed with these buggys when you put weight on the back the chain looses a little tension. I tightened the chain and I rode it a little before I put it for the night and I didn't here it anymore. How tight does the chain need to be? Or is it something else? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Believe it or not, all of the new machines that I see the chain is VERY tight with pretty much no slop. Roll with it and see how it does.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Supporting Vendor

It has been in the past that the chain should have 3/8"-1/2" play in it. The new kinroads come with the chain really tight, but 2 out of 3 karts I had to loosen chain to the above mentioned specs. The adjustment will flex with the suspension. I personally believe when too tight not only will you get the popping noise but you also put a lot of pressure on the axle bearings as well as the chain and sprockets. I have been in the maintenance field for many years and be it a conveyor motor, cycle or buggy their must be some play. TOM