BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM

Default All choked up!

I've got an issue with my 150, I was out riding friday at big maple when it suddenly wouldnt run past half throttle without sputtering out and dying. I loaded it up and took it home to check it out, its not an electrical problem, its definitly the carb cause if I shoot it with starting fluid it will fire right up! I took the carb of and disassembled and clean it all, put it back together and stuck it back on and it did the same thing! So my question is how do you tell if the electric choke has gone bad!?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 PM

from what I have gathered on here you remove it from the carb, hook the wires temporarily to a battery and you should be able to see the plunger move in a minute or two. also make sure when you turn the switch on make sure you are getting fire to which ever one is your hot wire, with it still on the engine. check this first.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Heavy Contributor

Also clean ur choke real good with Q- tips while ur there. I'm sure you cleaned ur jets with wire and cleaned ur filter as well.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Lurker

Bear, how is Big Maple for our Buggies? Is there ample amount of trails to ride?

Hammerhead Performance Exhaust
Uni Filter
Performance Coil
38 Pilot / 135 Main Jet
Yellow Spring
11 gram Sliders
2500 lb Winch
Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Administrator

There's a pic here somewhere on the forum that shows what the choke should look like energized vs not.

let me see if I can find it.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Here ya go:

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62
Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 PM

Carbide-ohio big maple has plenty fo trails for our buggy's to run on and at just $10 for the whole day you cant lose!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 PM

As for my choke, I got it all cleaned up and the buggy is running now, but it still wavers a bit! I can run the buggy full throttle and think it just needs a good day of running on it to clear its throat!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
As for my choke, I got it all cleaned up and the buggy is running now, but it still wavers a bit! I can run the buggy full throttle and think it just needs a good day of running on it to clear its throat!
Hey bear, when was the last time you checked the float level on your buggy? That is a maintenence item that is overlooked by many, many people. As the float needle wears, it sits up in the seat farther and farther. The farther it sits, the higher the float level gets. The higher the float level gets the more rich your engine runs. And it will run rich all the way through, from idle to wide open. It is amazing to me that many people will swap jets in there machines before they even verify that the float level is correct. It may not be your problem, but it is easy and free to eliminate the possibility. Also if you find the float level to be out of adjustment, make sure you re-check your jetting if you have deviated ftom stock.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the info "stanger" I'll check it out and let you know, when I get the chance! still out of town working!!!