BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Default baja reaction transmission problems

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my baja reaction 150 jumping out of gear under load. I put a spring on the return lever on the trans and that helped a little, but when I have 2 people in it or when I hit top speed it jumps out. I talked to a few people and they said the teeth are worn, and they also said this is a common issue. So, should I fix the trans I have, get a new one, or should I go for a different style? If I go with a different style what will work since this is a double chain? Thanks for any input you may have
Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Check your cable adjustment at the back. The baja's are a little funny in how they work. It uses a spring loaded setup to align itself. If you look at the cabling in the back, you will see that you can move the cable inward or outward (or left and right depending on how you look at it).

Dang I just can't remember which way to take it! At any rate, what you do is loosen up the cable lock nuts and move it one way a few threads in or out and lock it down. What you are actually doing is centering it's drive gear (or not...depending on which way you adjust it). If the problem gets better, roll with it and see how it does. If it gets worse, take it the other direction until you cure it out.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Administrator

P.S. take the spring out that you put in or it will throw off the entire adjustment process.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Lite Contributor

I moved the cable adjustment all the way in and out, locking it in place every few turns. No matter where I had it, it still jumped out of gear. Some places were better than others. So what I did was clamp it in place where it worked the best and that seemed to keep it in gear. But, now I have no use of my reverse. I guess it is just a temporary fix, because I need reverse. Any other words of wisdom?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Administrator

I'd fix it. The parts aren't too expensive, just got to get in there and find out what is worn out. The Baja Reaction we had was really a good buggy, worthy of fixing and keeping if it were up to me.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Lite Contributor

I want to fix it do you know where to get parts cause i read baja is bad to deal with
Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator

I only had to deal with them once and what I needed was backordered. I'd say at least give them a try. The only other place that I had found that sold baja parts wanted more for the parts than what baja sold them for.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Lite Contributor

Ok thanks for the help.