BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Lurker

Default carbide 150 no spark

hello everyone. I think this is my first post. lol. anyway I have a 2007 fox carbide 150. the guy I got it from gave me the original cdi because he had an aftermarket cdi installed on the buggy. I was riding a couple weeks ago and spotted a pair of mexican eagles at the back of my property so I very abruptly killed to cart not to spook them. after I was finished checking them out I went to start the engine and it would not start. it would just turn over. without doing any troubleshooting whatsoever I replaced the cdi(suspecting it had went out) with the used factory cdi that I acquired with the buggy. it immediately fired right up and I took off with no problems. after about 10 minutes of riding it's like someone just flipped a switch and it died. would not start back up. so I figured the old used cdi had also went bad. I ordered a new cdi (cheapo) and ignition coil from amazon thinking I would be good to go but when I installed them it still wouldn't start. I'm an entry level motor vehicle mechanic at ccad in corpus Christi so I can figure this out. it's just my weak point is electrical and the manual is confusing the crap out of me. if someone could clarify the ignition troubleshooting procedures on an engine that is not running I would really appreciate it. also what's the best way to rule out a bad kill switch. thanks in advance.

adam
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

For the heck of it check your 15amp inline fuse...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Lurker

now that you say that I checked continuity on that fuse and the beeper on my volt meter gave a rough sound and when I checked the spare right next to it, it gave a solid sound. I should have swapped it then.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

Swap it and see what happens.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Heavy Contributor

If nothing check to make sure all your wire connections are tight and snug. Including harnesses. Sounds like yo may have a loose connection for your buggy to suddenly not turn over....maybe.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Heavy Contributor

its probably all it is nothing serious acp380...
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
If nothing check to make sure all your wire connections are tight and snug. Including harnesses. Sounds like yo may have a loose connection for your buggy to suddenly not turn over....maybe.
it's turning over just not firing. I swapped the fuse and it didn't help. I've checked for loose connections but not thoroughly . I'll double check those. I did notice the black/red wire from the stator is not hooked to anything. is this supposed to be like this? I can't find anywhere for it to hook up.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Heavy Contributor

We'll wait for someone to chime in on this.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Heavy Contributor

B/r wires on mine go to cdi next to b/w wires. The cdi has 4 plugs on one side and 2 on the other. Well it goes on the side that has 2 plugs I think urs is like mine.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

That's probably your problem there. Let me know if that helped the problem.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Lurker

the black/red wire is along side the blue/yellow pickup coil wire. it has a bullet connector on it if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to double check when I get home.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Heavy Contributor

On mine blue/y runs to the cdi on the 4 plug side and the b/r goes to the cdi on the 2plug sidenext to the b/w wire. You may have the same wiring as mine...Eddie.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Heavy Contributor

And the b/w wire goes from cdi too the kill switch and ignition.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Lurker

I think I realized my problem. I'm pretty sure I have a dc setup. the new cdi I got was an ac.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Heavy Contributor

Oh wow!! that was an off guard uppercut ko punch there.. lol. .. glad you found the problem. Enjoy the buggy....Eddie.