BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Lurker

Default More Carb/Trouble Shooting Questions

I have two 2012 Hammerhead GL150's, one for me and one for my wife. We went on vacation and rode all week in very heavy sand and dust recently. Near the end of the week, my wife's buggy failed to start when I pulled it off the trailer, so I checked the air filter and naturally it was full of sand. Since I needed to change the filter on both, I went ahead and ordered the Uni filter and jet packs for both buggys. I put the 124 jet on my buggy and the 122 on my wife's buggy, thinking it might save me a little time figuring the best jet size. My buggy cranked immediately and ran fine with the 124. Prior to installing the new jet in my wife's buggy, I took the carb apart and cleaned it. The cleaning didn't help, her buggy still won't run. I checked to make sure it has fire, then tried the original jet and the 124 with no luck. I swapped my coil with hers, then swapped our chokes as well (I only swapped one item at a time, and I cranked my buggy and drove each time to make sure I didn't cause a problem on mine).

Here's where I have really screwed things up. After swapping our chokes, I tried to crank hers and it wouldn't crank. Then I tried to crank mine with her choke on it and mine wouldn't start. So, I swapped the chokes back and mine still won't crank! Now I have two buggies I can't get running! HELP!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like something has provided too much voltage (FEV) on her's (bad resistor?)that has burned your's up too- Not positive since I'm not working on them- Do they still have some type of warranty?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Lurker

I figured out the spade on one of the coil connections slid between the rubber boot, on the outside edge of the female connector on my buggy, so it was a bad connection issue. Mine is running again.

My wife's buggy is turning over but not starting. I tried spraying carb cleaner in the carb while turning it over but no go. I also tried cupping my hand over the carb and turning it over and I got a significant amount of gas on my hand so it's getting gas. I looked at the spark from both coils, but it's really hard for me to tell if I am getting a good spark, i.e. strong, blue, white, etc. The spark did look the same coming from both coils (the old coil off my buggy vs the wife's buggy). I will look to see if I can find a fuse to check.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Lurker

I got it fixed! It turns out it wasn't a carb issue after all. Tom at KidnMe said after all the carb trouble shooting I did that he believed it might be valve adjustment issue. I checked and set the valves at .004 for the intake and .006 for the exhaust and that fixed the problem. There is a little sputter on the top end, so I have some more tweaking to do.