BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default fun with YD/ Seat replacement

Since I put the gas tank on the YD, havent done much since. Just to busy doing other things. Any work done on the buggy's have just been repairs, on the Yerfdog. Been rolled twice in last few months. Just because, have a few freinds that dont listen very well. However, no injuries. The YD, seems to hold up very well. And the 5 points are doing their job as well. However, the last one, going to need a little more repair. Drivers seat is pretty much tore off it's mounting bolts. Only 1 bolt holding it on. And kids getting upset because I'm not letting them drive it, until I get it fixed.
Like to get it fixed before my brother comes down in a few weeks. Any one got any idea's to fix the broken one? I've got some metal straps. Thinking of screwing multi self tapping screws alone the bottom, and then drill holes in straps and mount to floor. Not sure if will work.
Or does anyone got a idea for a decent replacement? I'm pretty strapped for money. Why nothing has been done to either buggy, but just repairs. At one point, I thought I found a YD seat for $50.00. But cant find it now. Maybe was seat cover I was looking at.

Have put a lot of use in the YD. And even works well for a work horse when needed. But learned, after each weekend. Better go threw all the bolts and nuts. Make sure everything is tight. Need new reverse cable as well. The main bolt that holds the reverse box from spinning, came loose. Broke the metal cable end that goes into the box. So now have nylon nut, and lock washers on the end of the bolt.
I'm really impressed how well the YD has held up. Put a lot of hrs on it over the summer. Repairs are cheap so far. But going to start charging $100.00 each time someone rolls it. Parts might be cheap. But my time isn't.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Power User

spiderbox, right? have any pictures of the seat underside area that needs fixed?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:05 PM

tkeagle u hit it right on the head with having to keep looking over the buggy, the trail riding is abusive on the buggies. Especially if you drive it hard. The yerf is easy to roll especially if only one person is in it because then all the weight is on one side so center weight is poor. As far as mounting the seat its just 4 bolts under the seat that go threw the square framing cant u just bring the one bolt that's still holding the seat in place to the hardware store and get some more?

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:09 AM
Heavy Contributor

The nuts are molded into the plastic of the seat. And thats what's busted on 3 of the 4 bolts. And on each location, the plastic raises slightly. By rights the buggy should be ok to drive, long as keep 5 points on. All mounting points on the 5 points are mounted to frame. However, the seat moves alot when making any sharp turns. Shifts your wieght pretty good when doing so. And could affect your stearing while driving trying to keep balance in the seat.
(yes, its spiderbox)
did some more looking. Just depends on how you word your search. Yerf-dog seat, dont work to good. and ones I found after shipping was going to be $90.00 for a used one. But changed search to High back race plastic seat, or something like that. Much more options, and finally found free shipping. $52.00 with shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A30XU5Y510T9EB
I'm sure the mounting nuts on the bottom, wont match what I have. But seat is very close. And it's a upgrade. Adjustments will need to be made. But hell of alot better than paying $100.00 for a basicly a cheap plastic seat. However, not sure if even can afford the $52.00 right now. forgot have tags due. So might half to temp fix what I got. There is some pics from the link that shows how the nuts are set in the bottom of the seat. Will take the seat off this weekend, and see if can get a few better pics.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Heavy Contributor

Forgot. Was looking at it yesterday, then got P.O.ed. I didn't notice this before, but the rear cross member, of the spider box. The main Bar in back that mounts the rear of the engine, to the back end of the Box. That big round curved bar in the very back. It's cracked almost completely through. The bottom support one is still OK. So there is another repair. Have few questions. I'm not sure when I will get a welder to be able to patch it up. Still safe to drive since bottom one is OK? I'm guess not a good idea. Then 2nd question. What caused this? Would it be because it being Rolled? Or could it be just basic the rough riding on the trails? Engine torqueing when taking off? I know a pic would help greatly and will try to get that as well. But it's cracked just about an inch on the passenger side of the engine mounting bracket. That's what got me curious, was location. Or is this a normal trouble spot for the spiders?
Guess one other question. I do have 2 spare spinder box cages. 1 in new condition. Thought about doing a quick swap out. However, Id still half to weld new mounting brackets for the reverse box. (way I have it setup). If this is a normal problem, should I take the newer one, and re-inforce it? and if so, how, and where do I do it? If it's not a normal problem, then will just put the newer one on this winter as is.

And yes, the YD's are easy to roll. Which kinda P.O.ed me when they did roll them. Told them the danger spots, and where to take it easy at. Guess what, they rolled it where I told them to slow down at.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 AM
Contributor

Cool

Check out BMI for a seat , if you haven't already . Welding Isn't a dig deal just about everyone has a MIG nowadays , I'm sure you'll find somebody willing to do it for $20-30 .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 AM
Heavy Contributor

I have access to welder, when my friend is done in a few weeks with his project. Might be able to sneak in next week. Dad does have a small welder I can use, but needs wire. Cant even afford that right now.

Ya, checked out BMI. good price. Until you find out that there is a $54 S&H charge. Seats cant be cheap to ship. But was happy when found something close for around $50.00 with S&H. Anything that I found for the yerf-dog. Has S&H added to it. So total price at a few different websites is $90 +.

But again, not sure how well the mounting bolts will match up. I sent a Q: out, asking what are the mounting pattern. I should be able to figure out, once I get that info.
One thing I do like about the seat that had on my link was the seperate slots for the upper 5point straps. Keeping them seperate does come in handy. Many times they got flipped or crossed, and had to redo.

Best way to get grass out between of the tire and rim is to deflate, and pull out with plires? Last time rolled, got it in all for tires.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 AM
Contributor

Cool

Just checked out BMI for the heck of it -$24.95 , $34.95 with sliders .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Heavy Contributor

go to checkout, and see what the S&H is. .
Old 07-31-2015, 12:01 PM
Contributor

Cool

Yeap , $45.23 shipping , $70 total
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 PM

tkeagle, the rear swing arm cracking on the yerf is very common once u start riding it hard espically off roading. Its happened to me and a couple of others here. Don't just weld the crack reinforce around the rear engine mount with some pieces of steel. I also cut a tube and welded it at the lower end of the swing arm from one side to the other to reinforce it, and welded a piece at the rear motor mount its under my yerf dog thread new life theres some pics.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 07-31-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Heavy Contributor

There's a way to fix this! The molded runner under the seat is hollow with a couple of "t nuts" molded in.
It's tough to explain this in a thread and I gave a rough picture of what I'm talking about.
At the rear of each runner you will cut a slot so you can slide in a piece of flat steel, ( 1''x 3/16 x length of runner) down inside the length of the runner. you will measure, drill and tap, (3/8,16) two holes to correspond with the holes in the seat. Drill out the existing nuts with a 3/4 hole saw, this will allow the steel plate to lay flat on the bottom of the runner and also makes it easier to align the bolts to get them started.
This actually makes a stronger and more ridged mount than the original. I've repaired several seats this way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.jpg (55.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 PM

heres a pic for some rear swing arm reinforcing

Old 08-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Heavy Contributor

OK, thx guys. That's very helpful. Thou cant see any pics Jmansracerocket.
will reinforce the swing arm. It's pretty much all off road driving. get on dirt road once and a while. Trails are pretty choppy.
That's a good idea for the seat. Will look into doing that.
Thx.