BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Lurker

Default Would I notice a big difference in power?

Going from a ALL stock GY6 150, clutch and all. To---

-GY6 150
-Stock cylinder size
-Large valve ported and polished head
-A12 cam
-Ported intake
-Polished carb intake
-Jetted carb
-UNI filter
-Performance exhaust
-10g sliders
-Yellow clutch spring
-Dr. Pulley clutch kit

I was thinking of going with a 61mm big bore, but not sure if I want to spend the extra $$.

Last edited by mnm99; 01-05-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

Either a 61 or 62mm big bore kit will deffinately compliment your engine if the head was ported and polished correctly. Either 61 or 62mm will require the case to be bored oversize. A 59mm kit will drop right in. Caution if there even still around is the 61mm drop in kit which does not need the case bored. These cylinders have had the sleeve cut down to fit the case and is therefore too thin for any reliability and is deemed to end in catastrophic disaster.

TOM
Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Administrator

if you really want to feel a difference, go to a 250.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM

I've read the BBKs do help, but you get the most "feel" from the stroker cranks.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Supporting Vendor

It all comes down to how far you want to go and how much you want to spend. The longer stroked crank will give you more torque, big bores will give potential for more power. The head will make the most difference along with the cam. I know of 2 type of gear heads from 30+ yrs of experiance. 1) Those who want to do it right and 2) those who want the cheapest way out. 2) is ok as long as you know what you are doing. In other words there is nothing wrong with saving money but to do so you need to know what you are buying. I'll say this again, there are differences in a 90.00 and 160.00 big bore kit although they look alike. The gearhead who builds his engine using quality proven parts will have a sucessful build with the least amount of problems over the long run. The gearhead that builds totally based on cost will be constantly working on the engine and have poor results. Although the Chinese buggies are cheap they are no different then a Honda or Polaris ATV. People will not think twice in spending 400.00 for a performance exhaust for their ATV or 200.00 apiece for shocks for their ATV, but will think twice at spending this on their buggy. I look at it like this, I spend 2200.00 on a quality buggy and put another 2000.00 in it. I still paid less in total for a buggy then for a comparable big named stock atv. Back to engines. A big bore kit alone will not give you more power unless you provide the needed air and fuel to fill it. Most power gains will come from the head, cam and fuel delivery. Now on top of that add a bigger bore and stroked crank you will increase power even more for you already have the delivery of air and fuel to fill the added volume in the cylinder. When building an engine to produce more power you will be putting more stress on the parts so they need to be able to take the added stress and pressures. Just look at the performance market for either cars or off road products. You won't find a RHS cam on one site for 200.00 and another site for 80.00. The same holds true for the Chinese parts market. I can go on for days so I'll end it here for now.

TOM