BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Lurker

Default Help!!! Tried all i know!!

?
Hi, I am totally frustrated with this buggy..It's a 150cc mini dune buggy type,it'smanfactured by a company who no longer does business in the US. Sometimes it will start right up, other times it will click at solenoid, and also has a starter relay,that will also click at times...Most often it just turns over real slow,like the battery is dead...I have replaced, battery, starter,solenoid,voltage regulator...Sometimes if i bump the buggy backward just a fraction,it will start turning over at a normal speed and start...if you barely move it, and shut it off, your right back to the problems listed above...I loosened the TAV cover, the pullies and belt are spinning when i am trying to start it..Is this suppose to be happenning, or is this whats "dragging" down the motor? Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated...I have been working on this since last July..I am out of ideas, money, and mostly patience!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

Make sure all electrical wiring are snug and tight and harnesses nothing grounding out that's not suppose to. Also check ur sparkplug .and coil that goes to it....wiring to ur ignition switch, and your safety switch on brake pedal if you have one...Eddie.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Heavy Contributor

Its normal for ur belt to turn. You have a cyntrifugal clutch when you accelerate it will spin faster to where the clutch will engage and ur buggy will start to move forward. Its normal...Eddie.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Heavy Contributor

One more thing check ur cdi.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Lurker

Default still trying!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Was messing with it last night again,getting close to dark..While trying to crank it over. I now see "sparks" coming from the drive chain? and the large bolt located in the back.used to tighten the chain? I have checked all exposed wires for cracks,shorts, etc..Do not see any.Is it possible to be shorting out internally? Oh by the way I neglected to mention,the CDI was also replaced..
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Heavy Contributor

Perhaps something internal where ur stator and flywheel is. You would have to open ur right side cover to see what's going on in there.sparks coming out of ur chain and chain tentioner not sure what's going on there. I'm not there to see what's causing the sparks. Clean and lube ur chain real good.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

Sparks off the chain?????? That's a new one!
Are we talking electrical or friction sparks? very possible your pulling motor ground through the chain.
For experimentation, run a wire from the negative side of battery to one of the starter mounting bolts and see how the motor cranks . If an improvement , you need a dedicated ground wire to the motor case
There is a dedicated ground connection in the wiring system. Most of the time one of the upper front CVT cover bolts is used for this connection. If the CVT cover is removed this connector has to be installed with that bolt when the cover is reinstalled. A lot of folks neglect to connect this wire back on or it gets broken. I always run this wire over to one of the starter bolts. It makes a solid connection right at the starter and I don't have to fiddle with it every time I take the cvt cover off.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
Sparks off the chain?????? That's a new one!
Are we talking electrical or friction sparks? very possible your pulling motor ground through the chain.
For experimentation, run a wire from the negative side of battery to one of the starter mounting bolts and see how the motor cranks . If an improvement , you need a dedicated ground wire to the motor case
There is a dedicated ground connection in the wiring system. Most of the time one of the upper front CVT cover bolts is used for this connection. If the CVT cover is removed this connector has to be installed with that bolt when the cover is reinstalled. A lot of folks neglect to connect this wire back on or it gets broken. I always run this wire over to one of the starter bolts. It makes a solid connection right at the starter and I don't have to fiddle with it every time I take the cvt cover off.
We are talking elec. sparks when cranking over...You may be onto something with that ground explanation...I changed the belt last year, as near as I can remember about the same time this problem surfaced!! Thanks, plan to try it first chance I get..Will let you know.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Lurker

Default You Did It!!!

Well my friend you were exactly right..I had a wire running from neg. side of battery, the other end was never connected to anything..As per your suggestion,I hooked it to starter mounting bolt...Hit the key and it started right up!! And starts everytime,and no sparks!!!

Thanks so much for your help..You have made my 12yr. old son very happy!! and I'm pretty happy myself...Now I can move on to other home projects...Also thanks to everyone who offered there help..You guys are the best!!