BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Lite Contributor

Default crossfire 150 parts

Hello all, I'm new here and I just purchased a Tomberlin Crossfire 150 buggy. Actually I traded a golf cart for it worth around $500 so I hope I lucked out. I was wondering if I could locate a performance intake for it. The stock one is broke at the elbow where it goes into the air box. I would be fine with a stock intake if I could find it for cheap. It started when I got it but ran rough, I replaced the coil and it ran better but still not right. I plan on changing the plug, oil, fuel filter and cleaning the carb to see if this will get her running again. I think it picked up some trash in the carb considering the gas in her was over a year old when I rode it. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for the crossfire it would be great. When the motor finally goes I want to put a street bike motor on it like a GSX-R 600 or 750.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Contributor

I would get you some seafoam to run threw it. You'll want some yamaha blaster shocks for the rear cause they are way stiff. You'll want to put the front on the soft setting or even get some 18in arctic cat shocks. Drain the tranny case as well and refill it when you do the oil. You can get you a 6in sink drain and coupler for your new intake and a uni filter. If it has sat a while I would order a new mount for the carb
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Lite Contributor

How much seafoam? I guess just pour it in gas tank with full tank of gas? The shocks feel fine to me but I'll upgrade them later on down the road. Do you mean a PVC sink drain and coupler or the rubber kind? I found a 1.5'' inside diameter uni filter for like $18. The mount for the carb looks fine. I fully cleaned the carb today sprayed out all of the jets and passages and she is still not running . I checked the spark and that was fine. Then I tried putting my finger in the spark plug hole while a friend turned it over and it felt like there was no compression. I believe I'll have to rebuild the top end or there is a problem with the valves (stuck spring or out of adjustment) I'm gonna take the valve cover off tomorrow and see what the deal is. Hopefully a rebuild kit is cheap...
Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Contributor

Most use the metal sink drain along with an 1-1/4" coupler just be sure to set it up where you have 6" from the carb side of coupler to the clamp end of the uni. Also be sure to get some larger jets as the uni will open the air flow up and lean out your motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Those buggies have a howhit engine on them and those are a fanastic engine. If tnat machine sat for any period of time, you can bet that carb will need to be cleaned and ti will be running like a totally different buggy afterwards. If you are missing intake parts you could just buy a uni filiter for it (click the banner ad above at the top of this page for SYC Powersports) and you'll gain performance as well. You'll need to rejet the carb when you do this but since you are going to have it apart anyways you can get it done at the same time.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Lite Contributor

I called tomberlin today and they said a topend rebuild kit was $150. A little pricey for a chinese motor. So I hopped on ebay and saw GY6 150cc rebuild kits for around $75. I was wondering if all GY6 motors use basically the same pistom and cylinder. I saw that there was two different cylinder designs aswell as two different head designs (A and B). I guess all I'd have to do is take the plastic cover off of the motor and see which kind I have. I checked on SYC and their carb jets were $8 a piece! I also saw a 28mm GY6 complete carb rebuild kits with jets included for around $20 shipped. The jets in the picture looked just like the ones that came out of my carb with the exception of one (it was the jet with the three tiny holes in the side of it) this one in the picture had 2. Heres a link to the carb kit.
http://www.gy6150enginepartswholesal...s-p-14117.html

Last edited by Beefcake; 07-19-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add link