BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Lurker

Default 150CC Carbide will not go forward

Hi - We have a 1500 carbide that was working great. The kids rolled it and as soon as it was restarted it would not go forward. It feels like it wants to go forward but will not. If we put it in reverse it will go backward - but not easily. Nothing looks bent or clogged from an external perspective. PLEASE HELP.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Lurker

I'm not familar with your machine but might suggest:

Remove the chain to isolate the problem.
If the machine doesn't want to roll, check for:
1. The brake is hanging up
2. The axle/bearings are damaged

If the machine rolls without the chain then check the shifter:
1. Look over the shift bellcrank at the transmission for damage. These are supposed to be somewhat fragile.
2. Remove the shifter cables at the transmission. Check that the bellcrank moves properly and goes to the detents: forward, neutral and reverse. The shifters are normally sticky so you may need to rotate the drive sprocket back and forth when moving the bellcrank. If that seems good then look over the cables and shift lever for damage, reinstall and adjust the cables.

If all is good so far, then look at the clutches/belt.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Lurker

Hi Snaker - thanks so much for your help. I removed the chain and still could not roll it forward. I looked at what I think is the rear brakes (Large silver disc with holes in it, rotating through a blach box with an opening). I found the service manuals but there is nothing in them that talks about the rear brakes. PLEASE HELP!!. Thanks
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Snaker has your possibilities listed correctly- You've located the likely culprit- rear disk brake. Can you post some pics of the the brake- follow the line to the master cylinder and take more pics. Also get pic's of the axle bearings too. I'd suggest freeing the disk pads by prying the caliper open with a large flat head screw driver but you've got to be very delicate with the pressure so you don't warp the rotor or damage the caliper & pads.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Lurker

To isolate futher, maybe jack one end at a time off the ground and spin the wheels. That will direct you to the front or back. Does your machine have front brakes?

Also, my machine has a parking brake that is a simple cable which pulls the brake pedal down. If you have something similar, check to make sure that the brake pedal is completely released.

Last edited by Snaker; 07-17-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Lurker

Thanks again guys - OK with all your help I decided to remove the rear brake mechanism ( this was a pretty bold move for me). In the process of removing the rear brake, I became more and more puzzled trying to understand why the disc was jammed. I soon realized that there was no way that the disc could spin between the two pads even if the pistons/pads were open. Bottom line was the whole breaking mechanism was not sitting in the correct place and that the disc was tilted. After many minutes of trying to figure out how the part of the frame where the brake is attached could be bent - I realized that the frame on the opposite side was bent. This is causing the axle to be a little lower on the left than the right. This slight difference is messing-up the alignment of the disc with the brake mechanism. I continued taking of the brake, which I gently had to tap out with a hammer. Once it was off the wheels where able to spin. Infact, I was able to drive the Kart, to confirm that everything worked - and it did. Problem now is there is a very loud squeeking noise when the kart is moving. It sounds like it might be bearings or something scraping because of the axle being un even,

So now the question is - is there a way to get the frame-swingarm straigtened. It is buckled, directly above where the axle connects to the lower swingarm.

Thanks again - I am so thankful for all your help