BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Lurker

Default 1p65yml

HI all
i just bought an ATV with this engine it is supposed to be 200cc it is stock so far but i want change some things the top speed is about 30mph 55 kph on the road but the revs sound too high it has cvt auto gears i want some advice on how increase the speed with losing to much touque in the bottom gears it just hit a wall at about 30 off road it is ok can someone help

Cvt tuning guide for beginners
I found this simple guide courtesy of Bikeman performance , It gave me a better understanding of how the different components work, obviously people that have played with CVTs for years will already know this stuff but for people used to gears and chains this gives abit of a head start !

CVT CLUTCHING
Here are some genral clutching rules you should play by!

Primary clutch (Drive Clutch) = Front clutch off the motor

Secondary Clutch (Driven Clutch) = Rear clutch connected to drivetrain

Peak RPM = The RPM the machine sits and holds at most of the time at WOT. This needs to be in your model's peak powerband for best results. BMP Supplies you with your optimum peak RPM when purchasing clutch kits.

More Primary Clutch Weight = less peak RPM

Less Primary Clutch Weight = More Peak RPM

Primary Spring Starting Rate Controls Engagement - Higher the starting rate, the higher your engagement(stall) RPM will be

Primary Spring Ending Rate - Controls Up Shift, Back Shift & Peak RPM

Stiffer Primary Spring Ending Rate = Slower Upshift, Quicker Backshift, More Peak RPM

Softer Primary Spring Ending Rate = Faster Upshift, Slower Backshift, Less Peak RPM

Steeper Helix Angle = Faster Upshift, Slower Backshift

Shallower Helix Angle = Slower Upshift, Faster Backshift

Stiffer Secondary Spring Finish Rate = Slower Upshift, Faster Backshift

Softer Secondary Spring Finish Rate = Faster Backshift, Slower Upshift

Adding horsepower means you need to add clutch weight, go steeper on the helix angle, or both. Most small modifications only require adding clutch weight while larger horsepower modifications will require you to change both. **Not changing clutching when you add horsepower will result in over-revving. *** does this mean adding heavier variator roller weights to cvt or do i need to change clutch springs

On some 2 stroke snowmobiles you must add clutch weight or RPM will be too low. 2-stroke pipes are made to work when they are hot. If you do not load the motor hard enough, not enough heat will be built up in the pipe which will result in poor running condition and lower than normal peak RPM. This is about the only case when low RPM is seen, and weight should actually be added.

Last edited by bellhui1b; 06-24-2018 at 01:20 AM.