BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Contributor

Default Atc 200s for motor transpant.

I am thinking of buying this to put in my dune 150. My wife is not really for it but I would like to if I can buy it and it runs good transplant it this summer.http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sno/4429001303.html

The only hard part will be the drive sprocket being on the left side. I see I misspelled transplant.

Last edited by Johnny 5; 04-19-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 PM

That is the same engine I am using for my yerf. It has a reputation of being bullet proof but not the most powerful, stock is around 13hp/11ft-lbs. You can replace the dish factory piston with one from the ATC 200x(flat top) and jump from 7.8:1 to 9.6:1. I approximate mine should put down around 15hp. The centrifugal clutch inside is the weak link when adding more power, the trike guys estimate it should hold up to around 16-18hp.

The sprocket issue can be cured via jackshaft. Not pretty, but effective. My worry has been the weight increase on the clutches, so I added HD clutch springs for the plate/shift clutch, and deglazed the cent clutch bell While I had it apart. The springs will make the shifter harder to move, but it is a compromise I was willing to make. I would advise to dump the stock CDI, as they are troublesome and expensive to replace. PM me if you get it, and we will talk more about things. I personally like the engine, and the 5 speed trans should be great. The main drawback, no reverse

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 AM

Is there anyway to mate up the external reverse to this?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 AM

I have entertained this idea, and from what I can tell, the case half and output shaft would need to be changed over from the model it came with. The main thing that deters me, is there is literally one model that retains the chain drive with the external reverse, the rest are shaft drive. If you are cool with mounting the engine sideways, then you could make a hub for the output, and weld a sprocket to that. A few guys, including metalstudman1 did this.

If you go that route, I might suggest looking for a big red 250, they seem more plentiful, at least around here, and it has electric start and reverse. Also, a 200-250 fourtrax will have the same, AND a hi/low range. The ideal honda seems to be the trx 200sx, but they are hard to find, and anyone willing to part with them wants way too much. It has the 5 speed, internal reverse, and electric start, while retaining the auto clutch.

I have researched options for adding electric start, GOKI still makes a new kit for install, which requires minimal work, but runs in the $300 range new. Rarely they pop up on ebay used. The second option is switching the left case half and stator cover for the ATC 200m/es, but by that time, you might as well just buy the entire engine.

Add on reverse I have run the gambit on options, including swapping cases, adding polaris gearbox(most likely to do) and electric reverse.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Heavy Contributor

TBH, I think electric reverse would be a fairly easy (and inexpensive) to do it. I am not comparing it to the other options as I have no info on them, but if you mounted (I forget what its called) its a flywheel (I think) that will just spin and spin when the motor goes in foreword, but the once the reverse electric motor kicks in it allows travel in the backwards direction...Again I forget what its called. Its what allows bikes to coast... But if ya got one of those on the motor to stop it from burning out when the kart goes in foreword, you can engage the electric in reverse and do that. And if ya got a forklift motor you would only need 12/24v. So you might not even need another battery.
just my 2ยข
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 AM

The popular electric reverse is a starter motor and matching flywheel, the issue is the amperage and the physical size of the flywheel. I decided to forgo this route due to the size of the flywheel and the added rotating mass zapping hp from the engine. If you could find a starter and light weight flywheel from say, a lawnmower engine, then it would be a good compromise, but the smallest flexplate I have found is from a 1.6l miata, or 1.0l geo, and still over 12" in diameter. It doesn't seem like much, but it will be spinning near as fast as the axle, if not faster depending on the gearing. I worry about safety as well, something to consider if other riders will be around/riding with you.

The amperage draw can be offset with a bigger battery, but at the expense of added weight. Anyone who has owned a car, knows how fast a starter can poop out on you, and having that happen on the trail might strand you. On the plus side, if you get a starter form the major parts stores, you normally get a lifetime warranty on them.

There has not been a reliable sprag design found for this option, although some of us have considered a go kart type clutch for something like this.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 AM

How "radical" would it be to mount this thing backwards, and derive your swingarm cage, and linkage to accommidate it!?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM

Backwards? Explanation is needed.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 AM

Well the 200 has the sproket on the lefthand side of the block, so if you turned the engine 180 degrees and mounted it, could you get the sprokets to line up? and if so how much mod work would be involved in changing linkage and the such? I know it would be radical, but is it doable?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Contributor

I wasn't able to look at the atc this weekend it is gone I will still keep looking for a pull start atc auto clutch for a summer project.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Well the 200 has the sproket on the lefthand side of the block, so if you turned the engine 180 degrees and mounted it, could you get the sprokets to line up? and if so how much mod work would be involved in changing linkage and the such? I know it would be radical, but is it doable?
Welp, if you did this, you would have reverse. All 5 speeds of it. Unless you make a counter jackshaft to correct the rotation. Honestly, it would be easier to use a jackshaft to line the chain up. You need a bit of reduction for that engine anywho.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM

Ok, thats what I was talking about, how hard would it be to make a countershaft. You'd know better than me, I'm sure, but hey you'd have the fastes reverse in the buggy community!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Well, counter shafts can be tricky. You would need to have a set of gears meshed together to reverse the rotation. Between bearings, gears, lubrication requirements, it just doesn't pan out. Cheaper to mount conventionally and keep things a simple as possible.

Johnny, here is a link to a site with all the specs for the Honda trikes- Enjoy

Also, if you like, I have a honda repair manual for the 200s, I can email you a copy.