BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Lurker

Question SLGK-160 Won't go in Reverse

Hi Folks, I'm hoping somebody can help. I just bought the SLGK-160 and when I first rode it, the Kart would go forward and not reverse. I adjusted the cables in the back and it went into reverse and not forward. I've tried so many times to adjust the cables and now it's back to going forward and not reverse.

My question is, when I make the cable adjustment, should I have the gear in Neutral, Forward, or Reverse. It seems everything I am trying isn't working and it's driving me crazy. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Contributor

we have a fox carbide that was doing the same i adjusted in neutral and know sometimes rev is a little hard but goes right in if u shut it off ! hope you get it
Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Lurker

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Lite Contributor

ddunagan,
I have a 2008 SLGK-160 and I've had to play around with the reverse gear box cable for adjustment. You'll get the most reaction to your adjustment by turning the nut at the chrome yolk cover on the gear box before the metal bend on the cable. Tried true and tested!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Lurker

Thanks Jake, That totally helped me make a massive adjustment alot easier. I lined it up in Neutral, made sure the cables were tight and shifted into reverse. It worked great. But, now it won't go into forward. The plate is moving fine but it;s not even going back into neutral. I'm thinking it may need gear oil but I can't figure out for the life of me where the gear oil fill screw is. The manual is totally bogus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Lurker

Update: So, I figured out where the Gear Oil Fill hole and drain plug were. Changed out the gear oil and still nothing. So, in an effort to line up the plastic gear plate in neutral, I loosened both cables so I could move the plate freely. Unfortunately, I moved the plate, click by click so that I could get it into neutral and basically was able to spin it halfway around. So, I've seen where folks have recommended a metal plate to replace the plastic one. Could this be my issue? Could the plastic plate be stripped somehow where it doesn't engage the gear the way it should? I'm a novice mechanic but I've usually found my way around these things. In this case, I'm stuck and thinking I may need to bring it somewhere. It drives great in forward and it goes fine in reverse, it just won't go back and forth with the gear lever. Arrrrgggghhhhhh. It was a xmas gift for my kids and they are totally flipping out to ride it.

Last edited by ddunagan; 04-18-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Lite Contributor

ddunagan, just so we're on the same page here does your SLGK-160 have the external reverse gear box or internal? If external, the changing of the gear oil only applies to your final transmision for the output shaft, not any reverse issues, but hey, never hurts to change it! Also on my 2008 the gear shifter is an all metal constuction with no plastic plate and only F-R, not F-N-R gear positions. When I did my adjustment I only had the option of doing it in F to see if I could obtain R. The adjustments were very fine, like maybe a half to a whole turn of the nut at a time to expose threads on the gearbox end of the curved metal at the end of the cable. If you have F-N-R, I'm thinking the adjustments would be even more delicate.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Lurker

Thanks Jake, yes, it's F-N-R with a plastic body. I'm going to give it another go tonight and hope I don't swear loud enough that the neighbors hear me.