BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Lurker

Question The million dollar question... Is it the Carburetor?

Hey gang how's it going?

I've got my GY6 ALMOST ALMOST running. I finally reached the point where I could go for a start and it was hard work. I killed the battery in about 20 minutes. This morning I went back outside to give it another go and it started! However (comma) it would only run for about 10 seconds! Then if I held the throttle down about half-way, it would start and run (at high rev, because the throttle was depressed) for about 15 seconds. It will shut off every time. I have ordered a new carburetor because this thing was neglected and was sitting in some dudes back yard or field for who knows how long. I just wanted to pose the question on here to see if maybe it could be something else. The new carburetor should be here in about a day or two, and I'll be putting it on as soon as it comes in! Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Kev
Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Administrator

sounds like a carb issue. In most cases, you can clean these carbs but on the other hand a new carb is relatively cheap. I guess you'll find out shortly!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Heavy Contributor

if you ordered the carb from one of the scooter sites or off E-bay, chances are the jetting may be wrong for your buggy. Make sure your save the main and pilot jets from the old carb.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

while you are waiting for the new carb to arrive pull the old one clean the jets-when you
get thru run a bread tie[strip off paper] thru jets to be sure their clean i hold up to light also. then try it again. if this cures it great- if not you will probaly need the jets for the
new carb
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 12-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Lurker

Excellent advice fellas, thanks! I did clean the old carb already, but it was WAAAAY gummed up and rusty and everything else. I'm telling you, this thing was sitting in a field somewhere for at least 3 years! I just pulled it last night and set it outside in preparation for the new one, but I will retrieve it today and pull the jets out of it and retain them. I think the old brittle diaphragms and all the rust and everything have "bricked" this old carb. I did get a new one from eBay for $10! Can't beat it right!? But thanks again for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes.

Kev
Old 04-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Lurker

i picked up a used redcat atv for my 8 year old boy. 2 days of putting band aids on inferior parts,ie harness connectors, etc, it fired up today...runs well til choke comes off, then falls on its face...think 1 size richer jets
Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Administrator

I'd say your main jet circuit is clogged. Runs good under choke because it is being given the fuel that it needs. Close off choke and with a plugged main jet passage it can no longer get the fuel. Clean your carb.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

Or you have an intake leak...