BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Heavy Contributor

Question crate motor AC or DC

Hi Folks,
can someone explain what determines whether your motor is AC or DC? Is it the stator or rectifier? I have a bone stock TM 150 XRX coming in a couple days, but I'm thinking of getting a crate GY6 motor to tweak out so when I get bored with the stock setup I can bolt in a beast. I believe the TrailMaster's are DC.. Is there something between the stator and the CDI that determines this? Can it be swapped? I see a lot of new GY6 motors on ebay that all look the same. Thanks in advance.
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 09-02-2013, 02:28 AM
Contributor

Wild,

In charging systems, if the stator (coils of wire) are attached to the engine and are stationary, you will produce AC. This AC can then be sent to the CDI for the ignition and also to the rectifier / voltage regulator to charge a battery.

If the rotor contains the wire coils and a commutator, then it will produce DC.

From my understanding all of the GY6s produce AC from the charging system. However, if you have a DC CDI, the CDI gets its voltage to produce its spark from a battery. Therefor, the difference would lie in the buggy itself and not the motor. The wiring in the buggy with the DC CDI would have a wire connected between the CDI and the battery instead of from the stator itself.

So in theory, all of the electronics that come with the engine itself should be the same. The difference would be in how they are connected.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.

Last edited by toomanytoys2; 09-02-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Heavy Contributor

One of the best explanations of this AC/DC thing I've read! It's not in the motor, It's how the chassis is wired.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Heavy Contributor

Thanks Toomany! I must have sifted through 600 posts and wasn't any closer to figuring this AC/DC thing out. AWESOME!
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Pretty much what toomany said. I wondered the same thing, for a different reason, not long ago. Fortunately, there is a ton of info floating out there about the honda ATC's, and lotsa parts too!

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'