BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

Question Different types of internal reverse GY6

Been looking around at getting a spare motor to beef up over the winter and I'm full on noob confused. I see lots of internal reverse GY6's for sale, but the gearbox on my trail master seems to be different than all the ones I've seen. The trail master looks to have a bigger gearbox and only the one spindle where the forward/reverse selector hooks up where as the ones I see on-line seem to have a smaller gearbox with an extra linkage attached to the spindle. Anyone have thoughts on the difference and compatibility?
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

found one that looks like my trailmaster motor.

http://www.highrpmracer.com/chinese-...c-p-10499.html
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Heavy Contributor

Ive never seen that type of reverse. Looks like you have to go to the back of ur motor everytine you have to shift. Is that what you want? Or are you going to modify it so you can shift from driver seat?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Contributor

Just order a whole new engine from trailmaster.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Heavy Contributor

lol, Miamieddie, no the shift selector is in the front. The handle on this would come off, and you'd put the buggy shift set-up on it. I'm talking about the motor itself. The other internal reverse I've seen have a smaller gearbox and a extra linkage, like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gy6.jpg (50.4 KB, 16 views)

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Heavy Contributor

I hear ya Dirtroad, just wondering if I can get as good or better engine for less than the $650 trailmaster wants.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Heavy Contributor

side by side, see the gearbox difference?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gy6.jpg (50.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg gy6-2.jpg (43.6 KB, 18 views)

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Supporting Vendor

Why not just build your engine. The money spent on an engine you don't need can be used to build a killer engine.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yup, probably what I'm going to do. Just that i've seen a lot of posts about the superiority of GY6's built by "company X" or coming out of country "Y". I've actually got zero complaints on the performance of my stock GY6. I'm about 220Lbs and that trailmaster has gone up every trail and hill I've thrown it at. I usually have to back off the throttle at 32MPH because things are about to get dangerously silly. Honestly, the only deptarment I find lacking is suspension. It'd be sweet to have some high end shocks, front and rear.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Other then tuning the cvt with a uni and rejet, the basic mods, to get real power out of it you will want to concentrate on the top end, head cam exh. and fuel delivery for this is where 90% of your power will be made. I had the same problem with my buggy for at 30mph I too had to let off for it would get really squirrelly. It was in 2006 the owner of Blade Powersports had some Works shocks made specifically for the buggy for which yours is an identical design. I put all 4 on and I swear I was driving a new buggy. Right now mine will almost top 50mph and I no longer have to let up. My son still has stock shocks on his and we have since 2004 replaced his a-arm bushings twice and 3 front struts, whereas mine is still all original. The shocks make a world of difference. I have had zero problems out of the Works until this year at the Bash while running the scramble I hit the first of 3 whoops at the end of the coarse which put the buggy 3' in the air. When the front end come down it hit right into the second whoop and blew one of the shock seals, so now I await for the seals to rebuild.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Heavy Contributor

man, i bet those shocks wern't cheap.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Heavy Contributor

Shocks are expensive especially if they are custum made for ur likings.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM

A set of Works brand shocks run about $400 a pair, but they are custom built for your rig, and are fully customizable and rebuildable. It really isn't a terrible price considering what a couple of sets of ATV shocks go for, and they may not fit correctly or be too stiff. I took a look at Works custom build worksheet, and they really take everything into account for your build.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Supporting Vendor

It all depends on how you define expensive. I define it this way. My son's identical buggy needed 3 struts replaced as well as the bushings on the control arms. We also have replaced both front and rear shocks and rear axle and hubs. My struts are in great shape, my bushings are a bit worn after 9 years, axle and hubs never replaced. When you figure a front strut goes for around 180.00 now and one Works goes for around 200.00 and considering the breakdown time on the trail for when the strut breaks your out of commission, as well as labor. This to me is a wise investment for these buggies. Remember that these buggies were originally designed for the small kid to be driven around the house and not for us big kids in the woods. As compared to any of the top named off road vehicles the buggy besides being fun is so much more affordable . Most will say why would I invest 1000.00 in shocks on a 2000.00 buggy but won't think twice about spending this on a 5000.00 atv/utv their making payments on. The fact is the shock is one of the more important mods you can do. This is why in today's market most utv's and many atv's are using the premium shocks on their equipment. When I compare my buggy next to my son's buggy the money invested in the Works for my buggy more then paid for themselves over the 8 years. Adding to that, I can run 45+ mph on the trails with excellent control as compared to his 35 before he has to let off to keep control, my old neck and back take so muck less of a beating as well. The way I see it is I had taken a 2000.00 buggy, invested another 1000.00 but in doing so made it ride and handle more like a 5000.00 atv. Although I have one could say wasted boo koo dollars on my buggy (R&D)but in doing so I can without doubt tell you what will and what won't work on these buggies. Now back when I started with these buggies I had a real job that paid well and this business was a part time project for when I retired so I had the expendable income to do all of what I had done. But when plan A failed and I lost my job short of retirement and could not find another job this forced me to go full time with the business. The expendable income has deteriorated to where the R&D is a great expense. But I do believe that going the cheap route simply because I can afford it right now actually costs twice then if I wait and use the quality parts that prove to be effective. So you see if you look at expensive for what it is in present time it's expensive but if you spread it out over time you will find it to be cheap.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Heavy Contributor

wise words..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Heavy Contributor

WOW!!! I'm now thinking about getting works performance shocks." NO LIE " it will be sometime nx year though. What is the works website?... thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Supporting Vendor

You can give me a call 662-301-1563 , I'm one of their dealers and can get the exact shock you will need.