BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Lurker

Exclamation gt150 power loss

I have 2006 GT150.....it will not pull a hill unless you have quite a bit of momentum........it has new carb......intake tube .....belt....10gram dr pulley sliders.......clutch looked good.....it runs great when rpm's are up but has very little power from take off........any ideas on what else it needs?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Power User

what axle sprocket is on it? you might want to go with a 39T. and are the rear tires larger than original? going too big on the tires will make it slow down low.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Heavy Contributor

Did you get a bigger carb? Did you compare the jetting to the original?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Lurker

Factory sprocket (31t) factory tires and factory replacement carb....however i did not check to see if jet was same.....just figured it was since i got stock replacement
Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Heavy Contributor

Make sure you're getting fuel, make sure your jetting is right, then like x-bird mentioned, a 39 rear sprocket is a must IMHO.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Lurker

Will do......thanks fellas
Old 03-17-2015, 04:26 PM

what speed does it top out at. Does the buggy feel sluggish or its just not accelerating as quick as you would like it to?

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Lurker

There is no speedo so its hard to say.....maybe 30?.....it accelerates ok (if your moving) but from a dead stop it sluggish. My daughter weighs about 80 lbs and if she is stopped at the bottom of a hill ( small hill...maybe 8ft) it starts up hill then just stops......the engine acts like its trying to pull a ton of weight. When i get on it i run higher rpm's of course and if i try to come out of a turn hard it bogs down then slowly builds momentum and takes off like hell. I contimplated if the clutch was slipping but from my 200 lbs down to my daughters 80 it acts the same.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Heavy Contributor

It was faster before? Did you check to see if the brakes were hanging up?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

What kind of compression does the engine have?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Lurker

Brakes are good......yes it was faster......my brother had it for his kids and it sat for a few years before i bought it. Carb was trashed so i replaced it. It used to carry an adult and kid with no problem.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
What kind of compression does the engine have?
I would do a compression test like stated above.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Lurker

You may want to check your vacuum hose and airbox. This will definitely affect low-end power.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Heavy Contributor

31 teeth is small!!!! Do what xbird said, go with 39 teeth.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:08 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
31 teeth is small!!!! Do what xbird said, go with 39 teeth.
If the buggy ran fine before with a 31 tooth then the sprocket is not the problem ,though a 39 tooth will improve torque. Using a carb out of the box is the problem. 99% are jetted for scooter use, A whole different animal. Use the main and pilot jets from the old carb.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

On the 150 stock carbs the pilot jets are the same both scooter and buggy. The main jets will very though. These new buggies are coming with as small as 95 jets. Not saying the jets won't affect your performance but from what you are describing it sounds as if your CVT could be hanging for the belt is not returning completely to it's rest position. However as I said before you need to know the basic vital signs which are air, fuel, spark and compression. If your compression is down the engine will not have the power to pull a hill but be OK in a less loaded situation. I cannot tell you how many times someone either called for help or brought their vehicle to me after replacing everything on it stating the same thing, the last time it ran it ran like a raped ape and I found compression low either to worn or misadjusted valves and a few times stuck rings.