BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Lurker

Default Carbide 150

Just bought one for the kids. Worked perfect for a week and then right in the middle of operation it bogged down and died. It will start and idle just fine but when you give it gas it acts like it floods out and dies. You can slowly idle it up a little but only for a brief time. I'm not very bright on these machines. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Heavy Contributor

pull carb & clean the jets
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Lurker

I pulled the bowl off carb and loked at the jets, I pulled the fuel filter off and checked it, I pulled the auto choke off and checked it, I checked the air filter. Nothing seemed to work after trying each of these. As I was fixing to give up for the night it kicked off and started working so I have no idea what I did to fix it.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

You'd be amazed at what a very small piece of trash floating around in the carb can do to your perfectly running engine, it get's dislodged and then runs bad again.Blowing out all the orifices & jets out with compressed air to make sure it's clear.A simple disconnect and reconnection of a wire can fix things as well. I'm glad it's working now for you.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 01-05-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Lurker

Thanks for the help. I read a lot of the posts on this site to figure out what to try and it was very informative. This site is great for anyone who has a buggy. My 4 kids love the machine so I am sure I will be on here often. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Lurker

yup i did that on the one i just bought
i bought it with reading what i have seen on this fourm abou the carb debise issue.
so it idled fine went to gas it and she would die store discounted it by 300 and sold it to me also gave me 10% off the gear i bought so it was a win for all 1/2hour after it was home snow was being thrown by tires yahooooooooooooo
Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Lurker

Well she went down again this weekend. It repeated the same failure. I noticed that I am using a lower octane gas than I wa suppose to. I am going to drain it and get the right octane. Could that be the issue? Could it have been dirt in the tank that keeps clogging it up or could it have been the same piece of trash that originally shut it down?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Lurker

sorry yes to all of them it is a fuel issue also done u smell unburnt gas at the exhaust might neeed to adjust carb looking from rear of machine it is on left it is the LOWER silver cap near front of carb book says 21/4-2/34 turns is what it should be
Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Heavy Contributor

A 24mm carburetor should be 1.5 turns out from fully seated. The directions you posted are for the 28-32mm carburetors typical on 250's.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

If I were still having this issue I'd be pulling the carb and blowing it out AGAIN!!!The octane level shouldn't cause a failure of this type you're having but a lack of performance only.Have you got an in-line fuel filter?When you disconnect the fuel line from the carb- does the fuel flow well?Trash from the tank isn't likely going to get past the filter but clog it up first.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Lite Contributor

I would junk the factory vacumm petcock and put on a inline this could be your problem its a cheap fix and will give you less trouble down the road.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Take a look at the inside of the gas cap. The ethanol in gas has been bad about melting the inside of these caps closing off the vent so no air gets into the tank.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Lurker

I pulled the carb and took the bowl off, blew out the jets and put new gas in it. SO far it is running. The kids were gone this weekend so it hasn't seen but about an hour and a half of running. At least this time when it was put back in the garage it wasn't being pushed. Thanks for the help. I hope its at least a month or so before I have to ask any more questions.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Lurker

Brad, I'm having the same problem with my Kazuma 150.
What size main jet are you running?
I found a 95 in mine and from reading other similar posts, it sounds like replacing the 95 with a 108 should eliminate this condition where the unit dies after a quarter throttle. If you are running a 95, I was just wondering if you actually got a full range of throttle when it does run?
I'm stopping tonight to pick up some larger jets for mine, I'll reply after I've installed and tested them.
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Lurker

From what I have read I have a 95 in mine also. I didn't take it out and measure it. My kids got out of school yesterday and played in the snow with it a couple of times and both times it stayed running. They drove it until they couldn't handle the cold. Does changing sizes keep it from clogging as bad? I also put a higher octane gas than the gas I run in my mower which I was using when it went down.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Lite Contributor

Most carbides come with a 114 main and 34 pilot. Even for a stock engine they are too small and if you do some test runs with a new plug and shut the engine off at w.o.t. you will most likely find it is running lean. The factory installs the smaller jets to meet emmission standards. A 120 main and slightly larger pilot might solve the problem for good. The size is stamped on the top or side of the jets. Replacing the vaccum petcock with a fuel shut-off is a good idea. It's just a problem waiting to happen.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Lurker

Well my luck is bad or I have a lemon. The cart is running super right now, the nuts on the exhaust vibrated off and that had to be fixed but wasn't to bad. But now it sounds like I have rocks inside my transmision. Sounds like something broke loose and is rattling around in there. It still runs good but sounds horrible. Sounds like it is going to have to go in for warranty work.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Contributor

You sure the exhaust gasket did'nt fall out? If it is the cvt you probly somehow broke a junk of belt, vari fin, or a roller got loose.

If you or someone has had the cvt apart then you probly spun the vari or clutch nut lose
Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Lurker

The service guy said something had broke loose in the transmission. Wasn't a belt. Its under warranty so he is going to replace it. American SportWorks is going to warranty the replacement so it will be all good if it doesn't take to long.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Lurker

Well I am still waiting on SportWorks to send the replacement transmission. I am starting to get a little aggravated. I bought a new 150 that my kids got to ride 10 days after Christmas and now its almost March. Maybe there slowplaying me trying to let the warranty run out. The Carbide is getn a bad name around my neighborhood just for the fact I have to tell everyone its broke down when they ask. Frustrating.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Heavy Contributor

Most of the internal reverse units need an additional helper spring to keep the gear selection in forward. This issue started when the Baja Reaction was released and still has not been addressed by any of the manufacturers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gearbox spring.JPG (85.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Lurker

Mine seems to run ok but whatever is bouncing around inside the transmission sounds like it could come exploding out and hurt one of my kids. I was going to let them ride it until it quit since I have been waiting since the first of January but safety was an issue for me.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Lite Contributor

Call them over and over untill they get tired of hearing from you. ASW likes to drag their feet when it comes to warranty issues. They are a good cart, tough as nails. My son's takes a beating every time we go riding and still runs like a champ. Don't give up, make them get it done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006-5.jpg (91.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Lurker

Got it fixed a week ago. The gears were chewed up something bad. We had to go out of town the next day so they didn't get to ride it. The day after we got back the kids got it out and ran it like crazy. Everything went great right up to where my little boy rolled it and broke his humerous bone. Not sure how since it rolled away from him but he is down for at least 8 weeks. What a deal Huh.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Administrator

ohhh mannnn!!!! Poor kid! Sadly, sometimes it takes something like this to gain the best experience.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Lurker

Yaa, he may still have to have surgery to line the bone back up. He has handled it very well. Were not getting rid of the cart. He may be a little slower next time but all the safety features were in place and he will be fine for football season.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

One thing you might want to pick up are arm restraints if you don't already have. These will keep the arms inside in case of rollover, alway's wear the belts adjusted properly and of coarse a helmet.Sorry to hear the bad news, hope he does not need surgery. Sometimes these things happen. Glad to hear your not dumping the buggy because of his misfortune, it could of happened on a bicycle as well.

TOM
Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Lurker

I have seen the arm restraints and have talked about getting them when I bought the buggy. Where can I get them adn are there several types?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Lite Contributor

wow, that sucks! Tell him to hang in there. Its really hard to keep those arms in the buggy during a roll over. Tom and his son had a roll over at the bash last year, Eric was video taping the ride when it happened. When they finished wrecking..., Eric was laying on Tom (he's no small boy either) and was still taping! You could almost hear Tom grunting! lol. Sorry Tom
Stroker Crank/BB 180 kit
Mikuni VM28 - 35 Pilot - 140 Main
A12 cam
blaster shocks x4
vapor speedo
Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

That was actually our time to bind, and yes he is no small boy and not light either. Wait till you see him this year.

TOM
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Lurker

Is there any way to widen the stance of the buggy?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

Wheel spacers but in our case it would not have made a differance.

TOM