BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Lurker

Default Yerf-dog spider-box 4206 gy6 wiring help!

We bought a yerf-dog spiderbox 4206 that was missing some electrical components and the spiderbox wiring diagram is not clear on a few items and i will appreciate any help on any of these questions! Thanks!

1. The fuse shown near the starter relay –what in the amperage of this fuse supposed to be? What is its function?

2. The resistor shown in the spark plug circuit registers 10.2 ohms, but is somehow related to the choke. Not clear how this should be wired.

3. On our carb, there are 2 wires (green w/black stripe and a yellow with a molex connector) they do not appear on the wiring diagram and i have no clue how to wire them in or where they should connect.

4. The starter solenoid trigger connector – on the wiring diagram, the y/r and the g/y wires seem to converge into a resistor of some kind. Which wire is the trigger to fire the starter motor and what is the other one for? Our solenoid only has one connector on it and it fires the starter motor when 12v applied (may not be factory solenoid but unsure)

5. The bridge rectifier we received has no wiring instructions, and connectors did not match, so, can anyone tell me which pin-outs go to the wire colors coming from the stator and cdi but not sure which pin goes to which wire). There are 4 pins on the rectifier. If you have cdi wiring info, that would be great as well.

I hope someone has one of these karts that can do a visual for me! Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- Did your Spiderbox get a new engine? as it sounds like the engine came with different components than the GY6 Howhit that comes in them.You need to let us know/see what parts of the wiring harness you do have.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Lurker

Default Reply

Good catch and sorry I missed the basics. Its a HowHit engine and its 150cc. While I can't be certain, it seems to be the original engine. When I got it, the electronics were simply missing and many harnesses were cut so I have had to trace each wire and follow the schematic from the factory. Let me know if you need any other info to assist!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

My Spiderbox isn't factory wired anymore but I might be help some! I've lost my other wiring diagram link but this is the same:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&dur=4391Items
Does this look like the schematic you viewed?
items questioned:
1. the main fuse is usually a 10-15 amp bus fuse-I believe this fuse stops full voltage from burning up the stator if the battery developes a dead short or thermal runaway.
2. There isn't a resistor that I'm aware of on the sparkplug circuit-purple wire from the CDI to one terminal on the coil, the other terminal goes to ground
* the only resistor is the ceramic block type that regulates the FEV (fuel enrichment valve) or choke.
3. the FEV wires coming from the carb do tie into a plug, it's pretty clear on the schematic through the resistor.The FEV has to have a constant power supply from the ignition while engine is running.
4. The stock solenoid has 2 trigger/activation wires- note:Look to see if there's a brake safety switch under the drivers seat connected.
5.Do you see a part #? I'd think you could verify if it's factory(internet search) or not to see if it hooks up the same as the diagram.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Lurker

Default Reply

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the schamtic you sent me is the one I have and am referring to. To answer your reply;

1. Thank you! I will use a 10 or 15 Amp Fuse and see if all set there.

2 &3. The resistor I am referring to sounds like the ceramaic resistor you refer to for the FEV. Its about 2" long or so. The wires from the carb FEV are a Green with Black Stripe and a Yellow that terminate to a connector. I don't see these wire colors on the schematic anywhere so I'm not sure how they connect to the resistor and the common power source. There is no other connector on whats left of the wiring harness to connect to. Do you know?

4. Looks like I have some form of aftermarket Solenoid as there is only one feed on it. I do have a new brake saftey switch which is plugged in to the start circuit if this helps.

5. The Race CDI I have is this;

http://www.chinesepartswholesale.com...ducts_id=67100

Do you know how it should wire in? Wires don't match up to what is on teh wiring diagram, but it has 2 Green wires, one Blue, and one Yellow on the 4 pin connector and a Red and Black on the 2 Prong side. The CDI is very common it seems, but has no wiring instructions I can find! Any ideas?

6. The rectifier I have is this;

http://www.chinesepartswholesale.com...ducts_id=62438

Do you know which pins the Black, White, Yellow, and Yellow/Blue Stripe go? Unfortunately, the wiring harness was missing so its not plug and play and I don't want to guess. Any ideas?

Thank you for taking time to help me. Every wire I sort out I'm that much closer to getting it running. Have a great day!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a FEV/choke wiring clarification-the resistor referenced is the ceramic block you have. You can cut the 2 prong plug(carb plug) if necessary and make your own connection (spade or bullet connectors),I believe either wire from the FEV/choke can be used on the purple wire. I wouldn't wire it direct as this part may need testing in the future & aids in carb removal.
I'll make another clarification for your other questions next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg choke wiring clarification.JPG (75.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here's my alteration for your single feed solenoid and my best guess on your CDI pin locations (a stock CDI is only about $10. with the correct plug) I've not experienced a real performance increase with the high performance CDI's other than a higher rev limiter (higher rpm range)

The rectifier/regulator looks the same but no way to verify the blade locations.(again the stock unit is cheap to buy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid & CDI clarification.JPG (85.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by metalstudman1; 07-24-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Lurker

Default Reply

Thanks for your help! I think with what you sent me I am pretty close! Let me see how it goes and I'll let you know how I do!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Lurker

I think (hope) I'm down to one last wiring question so I can fire this up. There are 4 wires that go into the rectifier on the wiring diagram, and I have those 4 wires ready to install, however, the wiring connector was cut of by the previous owner so I don't know which wire connects to each of the 4 terminals on the rectifier. If you look directly at the connector posts on the rectifier with the clip at the top, could you tell me how the colors are oriented? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

There are 4 pics of the rectifier. I am refering to the second row right. Top left Blk.,Top right white, Bottom left Yellow, Bottom right yellow/ red trace.