BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Lurker

Default ASW GY6 Gear Problem (I think)

Gents (and ladies just in case),

I've been the owner of a used '08 ASW 150cc for about 3 months now. When I first got it I realized it had been riddin pretty hard, but didn't know much about them. Since learning about them, I have put a new clutch assembly with 2000 torque spring, 1500 clutch arm springs, new variator with 10 gram rollers and a new belt. These changes made a noticable difference in overal driving, but there is still some issue.

I took it to some general terrain (rolling hills, grass, leaves, etc.), nothing a small go kart likely couldn't handle. Unfortunately I still have the same problem I had when I first purchased it, if on an incline facing forward, it will simply not pull itself up the hill. In fact, it creates so much tension in the CVT it will break the variator fan nut lose almost every time. During this the tires never move. you can just feel the motor is stressed and transmission under tension, but it just can't generate the momentum to move forward.

Interesting enough, once it gets to 5-10 MPHs, it can take about any incline if it doesn't have to slow much. On the street i can reach 38MPH on flat road and maintain 25 MPH after moving full speed as I climb a steep incline. If I ever start on an incline it really struggles to get moving. In reverse however I can dig a trench on any terrain.

The engine runs great. The CVT seems solid, especially with all the new parts. If it were a car or ATV, I would say the transmission is stuck in high gear, but from the little I know, I don't think that's possible given how these buggies are configured. So my only guess is something is going on in the gearbox, but I can't find anything online or in forums that talks about potential issues or tearing these boxes apart and replacing parts.

Have any of you heard of similar symptoms or have any thoughts on what the issue might be? I hate to start messing with gears and shafts, but I've been all over this thing, so at this point, I'll tear completely apart I guess.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have. I'm going nuts!

Jon
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Default Gears

I've a buddy with an 09 carbide 150 with about the same issues, turned out to be the internal gears. They are easy to get to and change, I suggest you email Tom @ sycpowersports, his header is at the top of our page. He is a pure guru on these little buggy's, and he can get you the parts you need at a discount! hope this help you out.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Lurker

Thanks Bear. I will definitely give Tom a shout. If you have any thoughts on what I might look for when I open up the box I'd apprecaite it. Otherwise I'll see what Tom has to say. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM

Default Diagrams

I'd wait to talk to Tom first, if you look on like you can find video tutorials on the ASW 150 with the internal reverse!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 PM

OOps, I ment look on line, lol!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Lurker

Great. Thanks Bear.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Heavy Contributor

My kart is similar. It is because it is geared high. The fact that you are reaching 38mph tells me that yours is geared very similar to mine. I am in the process of looking for a smaller drive sprocket as it is easy to change out. I think 3 teeth smaller would be sufficient to lower the gearing enough to give more pulling power. This will of course lower the top end speed. Most of the guys that have 150s that can pull any hill in their way have a top speed closer to 30mph. If I can ever find a suitable sprocket replacement I will make a review of the results here. Still waiting for tax returns.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Heavy Contributor

Check ur rear tire size shouldnt be bigger than 22in.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Lurker

Tire size is 20X11X10. So they stand about 24 inches. They are not as wide as the stock tires however.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Heavy Contributor

Also wouldn't hurt to build the engine a bit for more power. I got to take mine out yesterday for the first real test run since putting in the A12 cam and the hill climbing power has improved quite a bit. I didn't get to try any takeoffs on a steeper hill as I am just riding through the neighborhood. but the steepest hill I went up I actually accelerated a bit on it and held speed when on the steepest part. Looking forward to a port and polish and shave for compression from Tom after tax return. I think I'll be really happy with it then and won't even want to change the gearing anymore.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.