BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > ATV Dirt Bike and UTV Forums > ATV and Dirt Bike Forum

ATV and Dirt Bike Forum Forum for All ATV’s and Dirt Bikes

Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Lurker

Default My 500cc Crossfire

Just replaced the transmission because I wasn't told that the tranny was toast when I bought it for $275, just that it needed a battery and a chain. The sprockets are out of alignment so will be trying to figure out how to align them since the engine is as far towards the center as it will go because the oil pan hits the angle iron welded to the frame. I really don't want to use a jack shaft. I might have to notch the wide angle iron to gain the 3/4" I need for proper chain alignment. I put a new 8 gal. gas tank on it and a couple other cool features so far. Going to look into fenders soon. Sure wish there was a way to slide my axle over 3/4". Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEWduneBUGGYphotos 027.jpg (96.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg NEWduneBUGGYphotos 067.jpg (101.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg NEWduneBUGGYphotos 068.jpg (99.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DuneBuggyEngineREBUILD 293.jpg (95.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DuneBuggyEngineREBUILD 171.jpg (94.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Contributor

Cool

You better reengineer those shocks and ? Mounts while your at it . Doesn't look Kosher to me .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 04-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Lurker

Default Update

Yep, I hear ya. I don't know what those shocks were made for but I believe they were made for those who use lift kits on their 4 X 4's. The clamps are nice and tight and the shocks can't go anywhere unless the clamps break, but anything is possible. I do have a full set of shock mounts I will weld in place some day so the shocks will slip right on or off when needed. Yesterday I blocked up my engine 3" above the angle iron platform they nicely welded in place and I notched out 3/4" by about 14", moved the engine over 1/2" and re-drilled a nice set of holes and placed the bolts in and I am very happy with it now. I used my aluminum yard stick as an alignment tool from the large sprocket to the drive sprocket and they are dead on and the engine is now straight!!! That angle iron mounting platform must be about 1/4" if not 3/16" !!!! Hardened steel can be a bear to cut, let-a-lone to drill!!! It was giving the jig saw fits and I was toasting cutting blades and with about 6" left, I Dremel cut using about 8 wheels about half way through and the vice grips bent and snapped off the rest. Nice and clean!! Luckily the new 4 holes were next to the old ones in the frame.
NOW, I have to figure out where and how to mount my nylon idler pulley so the chain don't roll over the cycle frame. The chain route is the only bad thing here. You can't cut into the motor cycle frame or you lose strength and support and you don't lift the chain too high or you hit the frame in front of the big sprocket. I was almost thinking of running a jack shaft with a double roller sprocket and two chains. I love a challenge. Anyway, this beast has no reverse but will top 70 mph though . Anyway, I love a thinking game as long as there's a solution at the end of the tunnel. BTW,, I reversed my wheels and changed sides because the tires are directional and now I have a wider stance and can get the taller wider tires now. I would be happy with a 12-14" wide mild sand paddle though. My wheels will be fine for now, because that's why they call them balloon tires LOL... BUT, for those who didn't know, you can flip your stock wheels but pay attention to tire direction.Just switch sides and flip... Ebay has great prices on them tires!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41uUJ2LL5PL._SX342_.jpg (17.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg resized77.jpg (5.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg gI_0_TensionerUnits480x480.jpg (11.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Lurker

Default The Tires I like.

Here are the tires I will be seeking soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 155250628_atv-sand-tires-in-wheels-tires.jpg (15.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Lurker

Default New update

OK, I got the nylon chain roller installed and tests came out great except I can still throw a chain when I really throttle up as if to spin the tires. It has happened time and time again w/ any chain tension. The chain was given to me used so maybe I will buy a nice new tight chain and with proper tension it should be fine. This chain is ok on long hauls and mild use but just throws it's self off the large sprocket on heavy throttle. Anyway, I can keep the new chain off the frame metal now. I'm sure with correct tension, everything will be fine. After a few spins around the house, I checked the condition of the nylon roller that I wanted to test off ebay and not a scratch or mark on it!! I will now buy more for future stock to fit my system. Time to reupholster my seats now, work on a shifting arm and add the foot clutch from a hand clutch in the console..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEWduneBUGGYphotos 097.jpg (91.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-02-2016, 05:02 PM

I also have a new chain with links that will fit this buggy.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Heavy Contributor

I think axle flex is throwing your chain. A center carrier bearing on the axle would fix this.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX150 View Post
I think axle flex is throwing your chain. A center carrier bearing on the axle would fix this.
I was wondering that and it would thrown the chain to the center of the axle!! As we all know, he sprocket is offset towards the left end of the axle if facing it from the rear. Too much modding for me to do now. I will look into that center carrier bearing as I see that the center of the axle is free and clear but is it a correct size? because the other factory sprocket and disc mounts were welded in place? I just thought that axle was a beast for it's size but then again, a 500cc engine drops a lot more torque than a 150cc engine. I also pondered a chain guard like they use on race carts. You know, those two 'aluminum' halves (so you don't have to remove the axle) that bolt up on each side that prevent the chain from being thrown while 'cart racing...etc. I believe they have have them for similar racing applications also. I might also look into making a pair of aluminum discs( maybe out of diamond plate since I have a supply), if I can't find such an animal, to bolt up on each side of my rear sprocket... and is a sprocket for a 520 chain also known as a #40 or #50? Slips my mind at the moment...http://www.*************/Sprocket-414...le_p_4201.html Thanks for the suggestion.

Scott

Last edited by WizardMaster; 04-04-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman007007 View Post
I also have a new chain with links that will fit this buggy.
A 520 chain? Thanks. Scott
Old 04-04-2016, 11:32 AM
Lurker

I don't think it would be considered a 'de-railer' as much as maybe similar to a chain guard for forcing a chain to stay in line?

Last edited by WizardMaster; 04-04-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:04 PM

Default chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
A 520 chain? Thanks. Scott
no sorry the chain I have is for a Crossfire and its a 530.