BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default Looking for sources?

Here's my latest problem, my axle sprocket hubs! The pic is the second one in 2 months, Split the hub center and sheared the key down the length. Looking for hubs with a 3,1/2 ' bolt center. 1/4 keyway and a split lock clamp. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newest 038.jpg (87.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

what's that off of? what size is the axle?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
what's that off of? what size is the axle?
OOps , yea, good questions! I should have given the particulars. it's the rear axle from my yerf. A 1" m dia. with a 1/4" keyway. Ive been messin with the cvt, trying to get faster down shifting. It works but now I'm splitting the sprocket hub. This is one I made and I don't want to do it again if I can buy something better
Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Question- do you have the space to run your collar on both sides of the sprocket holder.(is the sprocket hole a little bigger than the collar?) I know you'd like to buy something off the shelf , but if the collar spanned both sides of the carrier and you found another pipe/tube size bigger to slide over the collar you could weld at sprocket holder and end of collar to beef up the keyway thickness and have twice as much coverage on the axle for the static load you're producing with the downshifting and hard throttling.Another trick I found recently is instead of using set screws to hold sprocket,rotor or whatever is to find a thin wall pipe (conduit) with it's I.D. slightly larger than the O.D. of your axle and use it for slip over stops from bearing to rotor-to sprocket carrier to bearing,ect... (make sense?)
Old 08-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Question- do you have the space to run your collar on both sides of the sprocket holder.(is the sprocket hole a little bigger than the collar?) I know you'd like to buy something off the shelf , but if the collar spanned both sides of the carrier and you found another pipe/tube size bigger to slide over the collar you could weld at sprocket holder and end of collar to beef up the keyway thickness and have twice as much coverage on the axle for the static load you're producing with the downshifting and hard throttling.Another trick I found recently is instead of using set screws to hold sprocket,rotor or whatever is to find a thin wall pipe (conduit) with it's I.D. slightly larger than the O.D. of your axle and use it for slip over stops from bearing to rotor-to sprocket carrier to bearing,ect... (make sense?)
the collar is already on both sides. the collar it'self is 1,1/2" long with the sprocket holder centered. the problem is the hub is being beat back and forth because it is a slip fit. thats why I think a split lock hub would work better to close up the tolorances. It could be tightened to clamp on the axle.
I use the conduit stop concept but I use thick wall scd.40 pvc pipe with 1' ID for the spacers. cheap ,light, water proof, saves the axle from nicks and it serves as a good rub surface. With the right saw blade you can slice the stuff paper thin for shims
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newest 003.jpg (98.2 KB, 15 views)