BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Lurker

Default 2006 Carter TAlon

I have a Carter Talon 150 that will no longer run. It does not have enough compression to pull fuel into the cylinder... I am wondering about a replacement engine. I understand that a 6YC engine is what I have now and I have found new ones online for $225-$250 but am wondering if anyone has experience with that. Also, is there something that I can upgrade to for a similar $ without allot more trouble.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Lite Contributor

something to ponder. You might have a really easy problem to fix without buying a new engine. No compression could be a couple things. Have you checked the valves to see if they are seating when they are supposed to? also you may need to just do a simple rebuild or as easy as replacing the rings? I would at least check the valves first. Could just need some adjusting.
Stroker Crank/BB 180 kit
Mikuni VM28 - 35 Pilot - 140 Main
A12 cam
blaster shocks x4
vapor speedo
Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

There are several variants of the GY6 engine, a good quality engine will cost in the area of $300.00 to $350.00 for an external reverse type. If you have no compression most times are due to worn rings or as bam said valves. Replacing with a new engine still gives you a stock engine. Repairing yours will allow for upgrades such as larger cylinder, cam to name a few.

Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Lurker

Cars I know...small engines, i do not. How do you time this engine? Recommendations on setting the valves? Procedure?

Any help would be great!

Thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

Timming is set through the CDI unit. To adjust the valves, first remove the fan shroud on right side of engine to expose the flywheel, next remove the valve cover. Turn by hand clockwise the fan until the large hole in cam sprocket is up and center in relation to the head and the two small holes or lines in cam sprocket are paralell with the top surface of the head. Next look at the flywheel, there will be markings inscribed T & F. The T should be lined up or fairly close to the pointer on the case. It is not unusual for the T mark to be 1/4 to 1/2" off the pointer, this just indicates advanced timming. If the T does not line up with pointer you are 180deg out, rotate engine clockwise until cam sprocket marks line up. You are now at TDC. Now adjust the valves, intake to .003" and exhaust to .005". The valves must be adjusted on a cold engine.

Tom
Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Lurker

Adjusted the valves...no difference. Can spray starter fluid in and fire right up. 80 lbs compression.

At one time, the fuel valve on the bottom of the tank quit working so I bypassed the vacuumm operation and it is now straight through...but I don think this would have anything to do with it. Plenty of fuel coming through the line.. Seems like plenty of fire.

I'm stuck...

Last edited by RTRUCK; 02-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

Compression is low. It should be about 150 psi. You either have worn rings or stuck, worn or burned valves. Are you sure when you adjusted the valves you were in time and not 180 out?

Tom
Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Lurker

I will check once again but I used the instructions that you gave me ( i think it was you). Where can I buy parts for this? Are the mauals that are on the site inclusive to torque specs, etc?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Supporting Vendor

Just make sure throttle is wide open when doing compression check. If still low then put two to three squirts of motor oil in cylinder then do compression ckeck again and note weather the compression come up or stayed the same and if comp. rises , how much. Just remember throttle must be fully open. What year Carter do you have if known. I have the parts but need to know if it is the old GY6 they used or the newer SYM GY6 currently used prior to company burning down. Their should be a sticker somewhere on the engine. I believe there to be a complete manual on this site. If not I supply my customers with one via e-mail.

TOM