BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Lurker

Default Carter 150

Hello All! I just purchased a 2006 carter talon 150cc and was wondering if this is a good upgrade
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perfo...tem51910f4316?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Heavy Contributor

with the stock exhaust and head on the early carters, this setup will probably disappoint you .A high volume carb is no good if the head and exhaust system can't handle the extra flow These motors are air pumps. what goes in has to get out.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Lurker

I plan on gutting the muffler,would I need to do more to the head?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Lurker

I also plan to port and polish the head, would this be sufficient for that combo?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Supporting Vendor

You need a good port and polish on the head, the stock carb rejeted, good quality cdi and coil, and the exhaust opened up to allow better breathing as well as a UNI or K&N air filter. I personally havn't had much luck from the cdi advertised. The 30mm carb will be too much carb for your engine, unless you were to go with a 62mm big bore with at least a 3mm stroker crank shaft. CKAU is correct, the engine is nothing but a pump. With too large carb the engine will not have the volume to operate a 30mm carb efficiently. The stock carb will work very well up to a 180cc. Going bigger is not always better everything has to match for peak efficiency. I have made the mistake of running too big carburetor, but have found that the engine will produce more power with less jetting using the stock carburetor. Now I am not saying that you will not notice a difference with that setup but you will not get all the performance the engine can produce. You have to be careful since there are many salesmen out there selling their product, but very few have done any research to see what works to produce the most power. Any questions feel free to call me @ 662-301-1563

Tom
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Lurker

Ok that makes sense.Thank you guys