BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Lurker

Default starter solenoid

what is the purpose of the green wire with the yellow stripe and the yellow wire with red stripe and fuse that comes out of the the starter solenoid
Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

They close the contacts in the solenoid allowing current to pass thru to the starter. TOM
Old 07-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Lurker

thanks Tom i'm thinking i didnt word it right but what im trying to figure out which wire is tied to the key switch i've downladed the wiring specs for my buggy but none of the wire colors on the specs match the wires that i have on the buggy thanks for the info John
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Supporting Vendor

Some times the Chinese change wire colors due to being out of a color wire.. You will probably have to trace the colors. Some times the colors will change thru a splice. Either way these are not hard systems to trace out, just takes time and patience. Any electrical accy will need a ground and a positive feed to operate it. The most common hookup with the colors given are the yellow with red tracer will be 12 volts off the ign switch in the start position, whereas the green with yellow tracer will be a ground. I would first try to find the Y/R wire at the ign switch. If there is no such color at the switch than with an volt/ohm meter you will look for the 12 volts off the switch in the start position than trace it back to the solenoid. The G/Y wire you should show continuity from that wire anywhere to ground. Some switches are configured to complete the circuit using ground. In this case you would check for continuity of the ground in the same mannor but with the switch in the start position. Hope this helped. What is the problem you are having, I assume it's a starting problem. What have you checked so far? TOM
Old 07-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Lurker

thanks for the help Tom i switchout engines from gy6 to a briggs 16hp vtwin so im trying to use parts i have to cut down on buying new part all im trying is is to wire the key switch to the new enigne starter why i needed to know the use for the the g/y and y/r with the fuse with a lawn mower the wire with the fuse is the hot wire from the switch but as i was wiring that way i get no power to the solenoid wires from the switch colors are y/g ,yellow , green, black so what i was thinking from messing was y/g from the switch is the hot casue that is the only wire that makes gets power to solenoid but with using this wire i have to connect it to the g/y wire on the solenoid i was thinking it should be the hot wire to the y/r with the fuse so if there is a short the fuse blows not causing harm to anything else so what im thinking your saying is g/y is ground and r/y with fuse should be the hot
Old 07-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

Correct the fused will always be hot since if a hot wire shorts the wire gets hot causing the fuse to blow whereas if the gronnd shorts out there is no temp increase since there are no amps running thru the ground. Hope this has helped. TOM
Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Lurker

thank you very much Tom
Old 07-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

My pleasure. TOM