BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Lurker

Default external reverse gear

Is it possible to remove an external reverse gear box and run the kart with only a forward ablility?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Lite Contributor

Not sure if this is what you want, but the last gokart I got was rigged this way. I think the previous owner was having issues with the reverse, but basically he had pulled off all the cables that tie the box to the kart, and also removed the fork looking thing. The result was the gearbox spun with the sproket and there was no way to put it in reverse.

The danger in this method is obviousally another large rotating part in the back of the engine. Wouldn't want anyone to stick their hand down near it while the kart was moving. Just an idea though.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Lurker

Default gearbox

Thanks, I think i'll wait on that idea for a while. Your right it does sound a little dangerous. It may just be out of adjustment but I do not know how to adjust the cable. I am not really interested in reverse as the cart is not very heavy and can be pushed backward easily. The reverse didn't work very well from the start but one of my sons shifted into reverse and since then it only clunks and jerks either direction. Sounds like gears slipping.

Last edited by jkchristie; 01-10-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Heavy Contributor

The Yerf-Dog Spiderbox and original Tomberlin Crossfire had no reverse. You will need a shorter output shaft from one of these and a matching sprocket. Buggy Depot or Tomberlin should have the shaft and sprocket. I also have a spare 13t sprocket that will get you way better low end gearing.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Lurker

Thank you!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Administrator

I have seen a few different types of reverse. From what you are describing, it sounds like you have the one they use on the Baja branded machines. We had one that was jumpy when in reverse and it was a matter of adjusting the cable at the reverse unit to allow it to either go more in or more out till we found the sweet spot. Once we found it, all was good.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Lurker

Default Thanks

I will try to adjust it. I think the reverse cable may be froze up also.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Supporting Vendor

Give me a call with make of buggy, I have access to cables and can assist you in adjustment.Many do not like the external reverse. I believe they are much more forgiving than the new internal reverse. When adjusted properly and greased they give you very little problems.

Tom 662-301-1563