BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Lurker

Default Troubleshooting help..Please..

Long story short, took the buggy to busco beach and gave er hell. She did super well considering I was following a KQ700 and a PoPo XP850. Along the way, during some jumps I lost my stack and uni filter. The guy behind me stopped me and handed it back to me. I only went about 300yrds before I had it back on. Whoops, did not tighten it enough. Anyway, the day went on, everything was great. Later, full-throttle bouncing down the trail I noticed my gas cap sitting next to me, ha ha. I don't know how long I was rolling around without it on. Soooo, again, finishes the day out with no problems and does great. Load it up on the trailer and when I got home and un-loaded when I started it, it started really hard. Sputtered and then would not start at all. Well after cleaning everything off and messing with the mixture screw and idle a little it starts. BUT, when I give it any gas it dies immediately. Now I am pretty mechanically inclined so I have narrowed it down but am just now getting a day to mess with it. Thought maybe some of you might save me some time to narrow it down even more.

By the way, I must pre-cursor this with this trip to busco was with a BRAND NEW CARB, jetted and tuned well. Not a cheap carb either. I am going to bust into it tomm. so it's going to be one or more of these things:

Dirty main jet
float adjustment (doubt it)
leak near manifold/intake (already checked can't see any by glimpse)

The choke is working properly. I am thinking the gas got some junk in it when my cap came off and the needle/jet controlled by the float is being blocked not allowing the bowl to fill up enough to handle any throttle. Might also just be that same jumk sitting right in the main jet. She idles great, just won't take much throttle at all until it just straight dies. Any ideas/suggestion/opinions

Am I thinking correctly here?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO I'd say yes- losing the air filter could have allowed dirt (small granulars) in and after setting for awhile would have turned into dirt clods! I'd clean the carb first and look for debris. Next I'd look closer for the possible intake leak (losing the Uni might mean the intake was taking a beating) by spraying carb cleaner on it with it idling to see if it speeds up the rpm's.If you have an inline fuel filter you shouldn't have trash in the carb but you could have enough blockeage in the filter to starve it for fuel or the petcock strainer/screen in the tank could have debris. Glad to hear you had a blast and didn't BREAK anything!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Lurker

Thanks man, great info. I do plan on getting into the carb. Just wondering after thinking for a little while. When I was at WOT for any long periods of time it did seems to start starving for fuel and lost some rpms. So maybe it's the float tang (even though it's new). Maybe just not enough fuel in the bowl. I mean that on top of some gunk I am sure.

I do not have an in-line fuel filter but guess i should throw one on. Wouldn't hurt I guess. Just don't want to slow down the gas delivery any more than I have to, but it only makes sense unless I wanna keep cleaning carbs over and over riding places like busco. Man was it dusty. You def. need to come with us next time. Let me know when your available.

I feel as though the idle (being fine and auto choke working well) would be more sparatic if it was a intake leak, but yeah, that will be one of the easiest things to check for sure.

I do have another question though if someone could enlighten me. I tried to install the larger bore manifold but the engine mount bolt (the long one) stops my carb from fitting with the new manifold. So do I just take that bolt out and get two smaller bolts or what? I have seen the plastic elbows but do those work good, I am trying to stay away from plastic.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Lurker

Got into it this morning and found the petcock screen to be blocked as well as the jets. Went threw a whole can of cleaner (with a new carb,lol). She runs great now. Now I just have to re-tune it cause I messed with the mixture screw soooo much before I got it right again. Thanks for your info bud, helped me along the way and gave me some confidence in doing it.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Glad you got it going. Was going to say though that those jets are likely dirty again.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Supporting Vendor

Run that inline filter it will not restrict the fuel any. There are two type of filters one used on a system with a fuel pump and one used on a gravity feed system. Use the filter for a gravity feed system. Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Run that inline filter it will not restrict the fuel any. There are two type of filters one used on a system with a fuel pump and one used on a gravity feed system. Use the filter for a gravity feed system. Tom
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I went to put one on today but it was the wrong size for my clear fuel line. Going to get one tomm and put it in.