BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Major problems hole in casing

ok i have a 150cc Kinroad buggy and i'm not sure how this happened, but i think the shaft that goes from the forward/reverse gear to the ctv (the one the chain runs on) got bent some how and over time it cracked the inside of the engine casing that one of the bearings sits in which started grinding in the gears (the odd noise i've been hearing) well today one of my friends brought his 4wheeler down and we were riding noise got louder and more severe brought it back to my place noticed a hole in the bottom of the casing, took it apart and found all those problems
so my question is where do i go from here? where the damage and the hole is i would have to replace half of the engine casing as well all the bearings, gears and the shaft. any idea how much this would cost compared to buying a new engine, i'm really bummed too just in time for summer, any suggestions or advice is welcome
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Lite Contributor

not getting much love here, i found complete gy6 engines on ebay for around 300 curious if anyone has had any experience with these? are all gy6's created the same? i can't imagine i could fix mine for much cheaper then this but i could be wrong
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry about you not feeling the LOVE So I'll say what most of us are thinking. Yes you have a major problem! The parts that you've posted not only show extreme wear/breakage but are absolutely devoid of any lubricant, looks like the parts were sand-blasted. Makes me wonder if there's any engine oil in it. You continued to drive the buggy knowing something was wrong with it. We are here to help! I'd walk away from that engine and buy another one, Haven't ever bought one of the advertised GY6's on E-bay so I can't provide an opinion. NO- not all GY6's are created equal. Call Tom with SYC (banner at the top of the page) ask him for his opinion on what engines to steer clear of while shopping the internet.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Lite Contributor

now i'm feelin it actually there is gear oil in there but from the pieces breaking in there and metal grinding it mixed to make it a silver color. you're right though in those pics it they do look sand blasted. i ran it like that not knowing there was such a severe problem, its been making a funny noise but i couldn't pinpoint what was causing it, we were up in the trails behind my place and started making a serious grinding noise and we turned around and headed back. i originally thought it was something with the forward/reverse gear once i started ripping it apart my buddy noticed the hole and it was down hill from there. i'll try to give tom a call tomorrow see what he thinks
Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck- i can tell you the ASW GY6 like what comes in the Helix is solid (internal reverse,much smoother shifting) Don't know if it'll interchange though. The Howhit's are also very solid.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Ouch! Does yours have an external reverse or is it built in (part of the engine) like the Helix/Carbide?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Lite Contributor

it has the external reverse
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

This is your chance to get a built engine from Syc Powersports or Buggy Depot while using this one for spare parts.

Last edited by GX150; 06-02-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Lite Contributor

yeah I'm trying to weigh my options here lots of different ideas going through my head, unfortunately they all seem like I'm going to be spending some cash