BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Lurker

Default crossfire 150 gy6 ... craziness

ok so i recently purchased a crossfire 150 it looked sweet and ive been on a gokart my whole life got to working in it and its been sitting about 3 years or so i refreshed the gas jumped it and turned it over got it to start with starter fluid would run a little while then shut off had it running for 10 mins or so finaly but couldnt give it gas so i took the carb off cleaned it put it back together and did it again now it will fire run 5 secs or so then cut off iv checked all the jets springs gas lines and vaccum lines with no issues so now iv reached a point i cant go any further i have no idea how these 150cc motors work im used to a 5hp b&s motor i know my way around those pretty well so any help would greatly be appreciated thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Lurker

First thing I would check would be the Electric choke which I am assuming yours has. Apply power to it and see if the brass needle moves. Secondly, and I am sure some people will disagree with me but this is just what I have noticed that sometimes even though you have cleaned your carb good it is still your problem and it should just be replaced.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

How did you clean the carb? Did you use compressed air to blow out the jets and passages? Being it sat for years, this crap fuel especially with ethonal will plug up a carb really good. Tom
Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Lurker

yes cleaned it carb cleaner and ether actually got it to run over the weekend but it will only run with throtle down will not idle iv messed with air fuel enrichment screw and with the air box so a little more tinkering is required
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Supporting Vendor

Sounds to me your idle jet is plugged. This is a very small jet and is usually the first to plug up. This will cause it not to idle and effect performance up to about 1/2 throttle.
Tom
Old 11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Lurker

I agree with Tom due to the fact my carter just had the same issue. The pilot jet was clogged and it was a pain to clear because of how small the hole is.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Supporting Vendor

This is why you need compressed air. You do not want to poke anything thru it since you take the chance of enlarging the tiny hole than you may richen the idle too much.
Tom
Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Lurker

Ya my 20 gallon husky compressor would not dislodge whatever crud was in there. I used a strand of wire and did not damage my jet according to my colortune.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Don't get discouraged- I've had to clean a carb 3 times (every time I thought I had it clean) before it acted right. I use carb cleaner,cable strands and compressed air as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

To properly clean the carb especially one that sat up for awhile, you need to let soak in a dip. This comes in a 1 gallon can and is made by Barrymore, available at most NAPA and Carquests. You remove all rubber and plastic than let soak overnight. The next day remove and wask in warm water. You than blow out all jets as well as any orifice in the carb with compressed air using a rubber tip blow gun. Many times the jets are clean but the orifices are still plugged.
Tom
Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

Have you got your buggy running right ?

Tom