BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Lurker

Default CVT wont disengage

I have a buggy, GY6 with CVT that I bought used and abused. I managed to get it running quite well but the CVT will not disengage (let loose of the belt) when the motor idles down.
I have the carb adjusted well enough so the engine runs smoothly at the lowest idle but the drive pulley will not release the belt. I have the back end up on jack stands now so I could adjust the carb and set the idle but when I set the buggy down or step on the brake even at low idle, the rear end bucks and the motor wants to stall because the drive pulley is not releasing the belt.
Any ideas?
Nimby
Old 04-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

Start by removing the front pulley variator and inspecting the rollers. If they have flat spots or are binding, it will bring the RPM's too high for the rear pulley and keep the clutch engaged.

If the variator is fine remove the rear pulley clutch bell and inspect the clutch arm springs. if the the springs are stretched or broken the clutch will engage too soon.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Lurker

Thumbs up Thanks

I took the variator apart and you wont believe this. The rollers were in there in some kind of jumbled up mess. Whoever put it back together didnt have any idea of what they were doing. The rollers were scuffed up and also knicked up from being in there wrong but I put it back together and the darn thing works!!!!!

I am ordering new rollers and a new belt and I suppose this thing is ready to roll.

Thanks for your help. I never worked on a CVT before and you saved me a lot of grief.

Nimby