BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Lurker

Default New to Buggies Need some GY6 ADvice... Runnning Problem

ok heres a rundown on my GY6 engine troubles (150cc howhit engine)....

my boss had a Bajasports Dune 150 thats been sittin around the shop for 2 yrs and went ahead and gave it to me for my kids.

Its been sittin it was havin starting problems so I trailered it home. Being its been sitting with gas in it I figured I change the spark plug (got an NGK plug) in it and try to run out the stale gas. It was being a pain to start and damn near impossible to get it to idle. Had to spray starter fluid in it to get it to run and after a lil bit of letting it run hoping it would get going, it stayed the same.

So I checked the fuel line from the fuel tank and that was good. Next I decided to take the carb off and check inside that. The fuel bowl had plenty of gas in it and the diaphram and needle looked fine. So I did a basic little cleaning and blowing out every hole and area I could then threw it back together.

I then put it back togther and put everything back together on the engine. After maybe 2-3 rough starts it started to run and after adjusting the idle screw IDLED GREAT. Hey I'm figuring it was jus gunked up and needed cleaning from sitting. Took it out for a quick ride around the block and was running 50 times better. Did that about 4 or 5 more times but after about the third time you could tell it was losing some power and the last time started backfiring. I threw it in the garage and waited till the next day to mess with it some more.

Woke up the next day got it out and it was runnning like crap and after taking it around the block once it stalled out on me and I was back to using starter fluid to get it started and also noticed that it backfired when I had it WOT but barely to none with jus a lil throttle. Decided to take out the new spark plug I jus put in the day b4 and it was noticeably black.
I then took the carb apart again, checked the jets (which seem to have a small amount of stuff in the holes) did another basic clean and after putting it all back together it started like it should and idled better but still ran with little to no power and backfired at WOT.

So here I am looking for advice on what it might be and how to get it running solid... Thanks for any help thrown my way.

Again its a stock gy6 150cc with Electric choke carb and howhit on the case... It was kept indoors and is in above average shape with the engine really clean with jus a small amount of dirt so it wasnt rode very much or hard.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Supporting Vendor

Drain the stale gas and put in fresh gas. Depending on where you live try to use non ethanol fuel just google non ethanol with your zip code and see if anyone sells it. If not just keep in mind fuel with ethanol only is good for 3 weeks max and starts to go bad in about 2 weels.

TOM
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Lurker

that was a given... dumpin the old gas out and puttin new in was the first thing done. I check the fuel line from the tank to carb and it flowed clear and how it should
Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Did you try to adjust the fuel/air screw after you got it to idle well?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Did you try to adjust the fuel/air screw after you got it to idle well?
thought about that but it doesnt have one
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

Make sure that you are getting a consistant bright blue spark. If not check all electrical connections for loose or corrosion. If spark is good then focus on the carb. You can still have trash in tank or not all was removed from the carb. Check your air bleed diaphram on right side of carb if not already done. When you pulled the plug and it was black this indicates a rich or non burned mixture. If it idles and runs fine when cold but trouble starts when warm you will want to check the enrichment valve for operation. Also if not done already check your needle seat for seal for ethanol setting up in carb will eventually corrode the brass seat or metal needle or if the needle is nitrole rubber it could have deteriorated so as not to seal. Also check the float level so that you have not inavertantly during cleaning changed the setting. And lastly if not already done check intake for vacume leak by spraying carb cleaner while running. Oh yes and check the valve lash setting Int. .003" Exh. .005" cold.

TOM
Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

It does!!!! drivers side of carb-look for a cap about midway down on the carb towards the intake.NOT the butterfly cap,I thought I'd posted a pic of this but unable to find it.pop the cap out and remember or mark original position of the screw-try small adjustments with the rear wheels elevated till smooth running then test with a load or normal driving to fine tune.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Supporting Vendor

On the CV carb the air fuel only adjusts for idle circuit, not at all like on a slide carb.
TOM