BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Contributor

Default Understanding the CVT

Trying to research the different mods for the CVT. I've got the roller/slider aspect down. But finding information regarding the different clutches stats and information about the clutch power spring isn't working for me. Maybe an article to read or Someone to help me out would be awesome. Thanks

Last edited by Bootboy1488; 05-14-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Great question. Take a look at the video below. Ironically, this video is THE most viewed video of all of ours so a lot of people look for the same thing.

The idea on the sliders/rollers is that as you change the weight of them, it changes how quickly the front part of the clutch (variator) starts to change the gear ratios. Put heavier rollers in and it will cause the gears to start changing earlier. Put lighter and the ratio changes later. It is kind of like a stall converter in a car. If the RPM's are higher at launch, the harder it will launch because you are engaging at a higher RPM thus with more power at time of launch. Of course, everything comes down to a matter of pros and cons. Go with those lighter rollers and while you will have more power for climbing hills and launching, you'll always launch harder, whether you want to or not. In addition, because they are lighter you will lose some top speed because the variator may not contract fully because there's not enough weight in the rollers to make it happen. That's one example.

For the actual clutch portion in the rear (driven), you'll see in the vid that this expands in junction with the variator contracting all to the cause of changing your gear ratios. Like changing the rollers, changing the spring changes the timing of this happening.

Hope that helps some.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Contributor

Yes it help me put the text I've been reading into a physical form. Thanks. You should come out next week. What is the relevance/ relation of clutch arm springs and power springs? Does the RPM for the two different springs have to match? Are they for two different type clutches?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Heavy Contributor

Actually the whole CVT system is quite easy to understand if you keep in mind the 3 components that control action.
1- the roller weights control the speed of up shifting,the lighter the weight the longer it holds in low range
2- the power spring or contra spring.. controls the speed of down shifting, stiffer the spring the faster it .
3- the clutch springs simply regulate the rpm engagement point of the clutch.
The combinations of roller weight and spring pressures determines how the cvt operates.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Contributor

Good stuff. Thanks to buggymaster and ckau it is much appreciated.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Lurker

Default Question

So what ould be the best mix in a carbide 150. Would I want light rollers for torque and heavy clutch springs for cruising? I'm not sure