BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Lurker

Question Belt Issue? 2004/05 HH Twister GY6

Just bought a 2005 (2004 on the TJ Powersports CVT Cover) at a garage sale. Ran it around before I bought it to make sure it ran wll. It did.
Got it home, ran it around the yard for a few and then got it stuck in the mud bog...trying to rock it out I smoked and shreaded the CVT belt.
Did some research and cam up with 743 20 30 (Gates 20707) as the replacement. Did some more research and figured out how to install the belt.

Had to remove the front half of the variator (??) to install the belt.

Got everything back together and the back pully is spread apart as far as it can be to allow the belt to sit at the bottom of the pully.

Engine starts fine in neutral.
Hard clunk when put into forward or reverse.
Push on accelerator and the buggy moves inches (bump bump bump bump bump bump....dies)

It seems to me that the 743 20 30 belt is too short, but everything I find online says this is the belt and it appears, based on some pieces of the old belt that I found with 74 on them, that my educated assumption is correct...but it sure does not feel correct.

Can somebody offer some insight into what might be happening?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

Your rollers in the front pulley (variator) are skewed. The should be oriented so they roll from the center out.