BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Lurker

Exclamation Need help asap with go-kart restore

Hello all, I'm very new to this website and the go-kart world all together. last week I got a 2004 yerf dog go kart with a 150cc howhit engine. I really dont know anything about this stuff so I have put together a powerpoint with lots of pictures and things of all the parts that are off that I need help with putting back together let me know if you can help I can't upload the powerpoint here but if you post your email i can email it to you if you need more pictures of anything and I can upload them. I hope this powerpoint helps out. Any help with this would be great.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- have you tried putting "spiderbox " in the search box? There is just about every repair/modification to one of these on this forum somewhere!!! Can you just export your pic's from the powerpoint file? posting on this thread with your pic's will draw more help then e-mailing individuals.
Posting a pic:
go advanced
scroll down to manage attatchments
browse- your powerpoint file or the original pic's before being incorporated into powerpoint slide show.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Lurker

Here are some pictures of the parts that have been taking off. I dont know what wires go where. or how to hook up the cdi ignititon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0024.jpg (95.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0056.jpg (92.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (85.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.jpg (90.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0073.jpg (83.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (79.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0034.jpg (101.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.jpg (113.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a wiring diagram-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg article_6_1266724407[1].jpg (54.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Lurker

ok Im trying to understand this. On my cdi box there are 2 different connections on side has 4 wires that plug in and the other side has 2 wires that plug in as you can see in the pictures i posted(the last picture on my last post) yet on the picture u posted it only shows 4 wires going out of the cdi. now for the ignition coil do I just run the purple line from the cdi to the coil and hook it up to the green side of the coil and just ground the black side of it? Or do i hook up the black to the resistor? also on my wiring harness it has a green wire and black wire that are labeled on/off and right beside those there is which seems to appear as a brown wire and black wire that are labeled kill. what will these wires hook up to? Im thinking that they might go under the steering wheel there are 2 buttons one on each side of the steering wheel one is red and can just be pushed and the other is green and can be flipped up and down. looking at the attachment you put up it seems like the red is would be the push start button and the green would be the on/off flip switch it that correct?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Here this might help!! There are 5 wires into the CDI,#3 pin is empty. Someone who still has a factory wired Spiderbox please proof read this diagram and confirm it's correct- this is from memory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spiderbox CDI diagram.JPG (10.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

1."now for the ignition coil do I just run the purple line from the cdi to the coil and hook it up to the green side of the coil and just ground the black side of it?"Green side of the coil goes with the purple, black is ground. The diagram shows simply that the coil ground and the resistor ground go to a common engine ground.
NOTE: I ran additional ground wires from the cockpit-to-the swingarm, then an additional ground to the engine. This ensures that the ground is continuous through out the whole buggy- a BAD ground can cause all types of electrical symptoms.
2."also on my wiring harness it has a green wire and black wire that are labeled on/off and right beside those there is which seems to appear as a brown wire and black wire that are labeled kill. what will these wires hook up to?" The person that owned this before was nice to you by labeling them!!!
your presumptions were correct- the "on/off wires on the red push button, the kill switch hooks up to green toggle switch.
Look under the drivers seat for a spring attached to a pressure switch (brake safety switch) these wires have bullet connectors that intersect the red push button wires at the rear of the cockpit.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 07-31-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Lurker

Thanks that really helped out alot I'm about to go outside and hook the wires up. When Im done I will come in and let you know how it went.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Lite Contributor

I can look at mine tonight.