BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Lurker

Default Lack of Speed!

Hello everyone! I am brand new to the site and have a question about my newly aquired Yerf Dog Spider Box. I think there is a serious lack of power. It runs real good, but it will only go about 10MPH. I think it should do better than that.. Any ideas on what I can try to get more speed? thanks so much for any help in advance. Old Ivy.....
Old 08-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- does it sound like it's running strong?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Power User

Search and read up on threads using the term "CVT" and "Variator" Sounds like Your CVT needs a look at. (belt slippage, worn parts etc ...)
Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Lurker

Metalstudman1: It sounds like it is running stron to me. I can block up the frame and run it full throtle and it doesn't skip a beat.

x-bird: I will check out the CVT and Variator Threads.

Thanks for the come back. I will let you guys know what happens.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 PM

How many teeth are on your axle sprocket?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Lurker

There are thiry one (31) teeth on the axle sprocket. I am at work and my better half counted them. Go figure! Hope she is right. If not I will check tomorrow and post again. Thanks
Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

That's the typical axle sprocket for a Yerf Spiderbox- pat her on the back for counting correctly!!!
With the engine running well then the next place to look is the CVT as suggested earlier by x-bird. Wore out rollers,worn belt,clutch pads or spring could all be reasons for slower than normal speed and fairly inexpensive repairs. When you get the cover off the cvt (with rear wheels elevated) watch it running and verify the belt travels all the way up & down the pulleys to start with. Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 PM

And do you have the stock 20" tires on the rear still?

If so, then yes, open up the CVT cover and inspect what's going on inside there. Maybe the rollers are worn, belt, slipping clutch like mentioned above?

I'm just verifying that your gearing wasn't altered with bigger than stock sprocket or tires.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Lurker

I did put it up on jack stands today and it seemed to me that the belt was traveling up and down the pulleys ok. There was no dust or rubber residue in or around the case. The tires on the back are original to the machine. After I get new brakes on it. I think I need to find out how fast it really is going at full speed. Being new to this and being that close to the ground, speed is very decieving.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:08 PM

If that's the case, you may need to inspect the clutch and bell for signs of slipping. Often the bell will be "blued" or have a "glazed" feel to it where it makes contact with the clutch.

It may only slip when it has the full load of the kart's weight on it. Once on the jackstands it doesn't have much of a load any more.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Lurker

I pulled the clutch cover when I checked the belt travel and the "bell", if that is the pulley on the rear side of the machine, and it is very blue around the perimeter of the case. I have since had another problem. This morning I tried to start the machine and I heard a small snap by the motor and it will not do anything. Checked fuse, checks ok with meter. I have power to the starter solenoid hot side and when I push the start button I have power on the other post but nothing happens. Could this be a starter/starter solenoid problem now?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Usually that is a low battery issue- try jumping the solenoid terminals just to see if it'll crank. The clicking or snap noise is the solenoid trying to make contact without enough voltage. You can jump start straight to the starter to verify it's functioning. Verify your ground wires are making a good connection.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Lurker

Thanks for the quick response, I did try to jump the solenoid terms. Nothing. I will try to jump the battery with my booster and see what happens. Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Lurker

Thanks, the battery showed voltage, but too low to start. Also, how about the very blue bell? I am having touble getting the nut off the clutch assy.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Power User

blued bell means it has been overheated. Definitely need to take the bell off and inspect. the inner is probably glazed, pads may be pretty worn. To remove it you can either get a spanner wrench or make your own.

To make your own, you need a good stout piece of flat bar stock about 2 to 2.5 inches wide and up to 18 inches long (the longer, the better) and a hole saw that will be slightly oversize in relation to the socket that fits the clutch shaft nut.

Hole saw a hole in the flat stock about three inches from one end for the socket, then drill two holes in line with the clutch bell openings on either side of the shaft nut hole. Install bolts into those two holes --their ends will grab the clutch bell openings--this will hold the clutch bell while you loosen the retaining nut. You can also add a third hole and use it for the variator fan pulley.

please don't use an impact gun, though everyone will tell you that's what to do ... they're hell on the threads. better to use a long-handle 3/8ths or 1/2" breaker bar.

Last edited by x-bird; 08-21-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Lurker

Can the blue bell be cleaned up or will it require replacement? What kink of damage am I looking for on the pads under the bell?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Power User

The bluing is showing that it has been heated up significantly, the discoloration isn't an issue, it will be the condition of the surface inside the bell that the clutch pads grab on. Basically its the same deal as a set of brake pads and the brake rotor. if the inside surface of the bell is grooved/bumpy, time for a replacement. If it is still smooth but has a brownish/blackened shiny appearance, you can clean it up (de-glaze) it with some white wine .... ooops, wrong channel .... 500 grit sandpaper. Likewise the clutch pads should be checked for how thick they are and also if they're glazed smooth. Don't know what the actual specification for the thickness of the clutch pads is, but if they're under 1/8th inch of friction material left on them, i'd replace them.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Lurker

I made the special tool to hold the bell while taking off the nut. It worked great. The bell was smooth on the inside but tarnished, clean it up with sandpaper. The pads where plenty thick, but also glazed. Cleaned them up with sandpaper also. Everything seems to be working ok. Still don't want to check out top end until I get some brake pads on it. Thanks so much for all the help so far. I am sure there will be more to come!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Lurker

Well, I am back again. I finally got a little brake pedal now. However, there is still very little power. I don't think that the engine is reaching its full rpm, maybe half..... Could there be some sort of restrictor or govenor that came on this machine when new for child use? The engine number is 3L0933 if that would help at all. The throttle seems to be opening all the way on the carb.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Lurker

Hello everyone, I finally figured out why there was a serious lack of speed, even though the engine ran very well. The carb. slide was all gummed up. I removed the carb cap and removed the diaphram, slide, and needle valve from the carb and cleaned it and the carb body. Put it back together and imagine, it runs like a dream. I will try to get a top speed one of these days and post the results. Still having a hard time to bleed the brakes. Can't seem to get much pedal at all. Any help would be great. Thanks....