BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Lite Contributor

Default headlights question

Well, my new to me yerf is about ready to go for Christmas morning... kids are going to love it! I washed and detailed it, replaced the rusted muffler with a brand new one and replaced all the roll cage foam with new foam and new yerf covers and replaced the non-working stock lights with 2 55 watt fog lights from Wal-Mart. The lights work fine, but are dim at idle speed... is this normal and was this how the stock lights performed as well. They brighten up as the rpms go up. Would a more powerful battery help the lights shine brighter at low rpms, or is it not a direct funtion of the battery? (I am a newbie). I will try and post pics or a video on Christmas morning. btw, the engine runs great! Thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

2-55 watt lamps really needs the bigger stator. I think you're only supposed to run 2-35 watt with the stock stator safely. The stock lights ran off the stator, I did wire ours directly to the battery to cure the dim at idle issue.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Will I damage the starter with the 2 55 watt lights? I guess I could always just go with one of the lights... they don't do much practically speaking anyway. Also, my buggy came with the lights moved down and attached to the bar right in front of the steering wheel (instead of up high). So, I attached mine down low as well... to avoid re-routing all the wiring. Thx!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Could damage the stator but not the starter. If you wire them directly to the battery it won't affect anything on the engine.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Lite Contributor

Since Christmas is so close, I just took off one of the new lights and mounted the remaining new 55 watt halogen light in the middle... it stays pretty bright now that it's alone! It's mainly just for bling effect anyway, lol
Old 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Heavy Contributor

MS1 is correct, 70 watts is all that can be spared by the stock 6 pole stator for lighting. The trick is to use two 35 watt bulbs in a good quality housing. The better light housings have more reflective capabilities. which increase the lumination.