BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Lurker

Default My Buggies and possible projects

So, I've gotten the buggy bug...pretty bad. I haven't had tons of time to ride this summer, but hopefully that will all change. Just wanted to post some pics of my buggies, and throw out some ideas I have for them.

First one I bought is this ASW Carbide. So far, aside from needing a new clutch I have had no problems with it. (I bought it used so I'm surprised it hasn't needed more). Every time I get a chance to drive it, I am surprised at the power that little 150 has.

It's plain jane, except for the 9 and 10 gram rollers I added, can't remember the type of clutch I got for it, but I think it was just stock. I went with the middle of the road rollers because where I live I have about 57 acres, and it's mostly .....well, abandoned is the best words I can use. I plan to bush hog some trails but haven't had the time. There isn't alot of hills, and figured that the middle of the road power would do me well.

Next is my Spiderbox. I bought it kinda on the cheap, and it needs some work. So far, have upgraded the balljoints with the BD ones, and just got the upgrade to my spindles back in the mail. It came with a brand new pair of spindles so I have a spare if the upgraded ones ever fail. This one is the one I hope to be my project, and will keep the Carbide mostly stock.

Next is a pic of the 2 ATV's I have purchased as fix-er-uppers. The one (I have a thread on here about a mystery sunl 4 wheeler) I have taken all the body off, and have it running, but it has a broken spindle and not sure what I'm going to do with it. (wonder if my spare yerf spindles will fit hehe.)

I just picked this up the other day. For a song. It's an ...well, not sure of the year, but he says it is a 200cc polaris 4 wheeler. I've searched and the closest that I can see that polaris made was a 250cc 4 wheeler in the mid 80s, so thats what I think it is. A 250cc Trail boss. It has been sitting for ...not sure how many years, but it turns over when the starter is pulled, and has spark, but won't fire. I'm thinking it needs a good cleaning (internally) and I may just tool around on it for a bit. I mainly bought it for parts for upgrading the spiderbox, but not sure which way I am going yet.

So, not sure what I'm going to do with the yerf. I'm pretty sure that it's going to get one of the 4 wheelers engines. I guess I have to figure out if I want to shift....or I want 2 or 4 stroke. The yerf runs good enough with what it has for now to tool around when I get the chance so I guess I can make that decision at another time.

Oh, and finally...here is a pic of the helix I used to have but traded it, for an air compressor, the sunl 4 wheeler, and some cash.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Lurker

Oh, and I know that my garage is ....a mess. Needs some concrete poured, but thats not in the budget for the time being.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Dude we must be kin!!!!Nice shocks on the who know's ATV-That's the motor I'd transplant (4 stroke, more compact engine design) Are the upper A-arms on the spiderbox upside-down? The polaris is 2-stroke pull start only? Untill just recently you couldn't hardly turn around in my MAN CAVE!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Lurker

There looks like there are bolts to possibly hook up a starter on it, but for now it is only a pull start. The recoil is off, as the rope broke I guess. I kind of like the idea of the 4 stroke too, don't mind shifting, and just plain like the sound better. Plus I know it runs.

As far as the A-arms...I think the picture makes them look uneven...but they are equal length. The guy that owned it before me did some things to it...even welded some things, but it needs more. I can't wait to get started on it, but for now I'll get it driving well, and have some fun with it and see what I can break.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Look at the upper A-arms tabs where the ball joint connects, they should be level with the ground -- those look like they point downward, that's what I meant by upside down. Wonder where he came up with those seats in the Yerf?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Lite Contributor

i love the carbide very nice pick up and the yerf is kool too
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Lurker

I got the Yerf finally drivable. Got the tie rod ends in and put them on, and it steers well. Well, as well as a yerf can steer...need to add some weight up front I think. Anyway, I want to upgrade the front tires...obviously. So, I have that old chinese ATV and thought maybe the front drum brakes that were on it would fit, but the front bearing on the hub is too small. So, for poops and smiles I figured...well, the hubs on that polaris look the same, so let me pop those off of there quick and see.

Well, they seem like a perfect fit for the new upgraded spindles for the yerf. But, even though I haven't gotten the polaris running yet, still not totally sure I want to tear it apart, especially when I really have 2 hubs that look the same ( I know they're on a chinese ATV but it's junk except that the engine runs) so I may try to put new bearings in those and use those (probably have to rebuild the drums so that the brakes work). Plus figure out a way to get the cable brakes to work in conjunction with the rear disc.

So, here's a pic of the both of my buggy's enjoying some sunshine. Right before I realized that the Yerf's battery died....or a switch broke, or something. Bleh...I'll figure it out. It's all getting changed anyway.

Unless I decide to buy a Baja dune 150 that someone removed the gy6 put a HF lawnmower engine on that doesn't run now. Guy has lowered the price to 350 and I think the frame /suspension may be worth that, but its a long drive from me so who knows. Right now theres no $$ for that so we'll see.

Oh, and please ignore my weeds.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

The dune 150 frame would to be a major step up from the Yerf. Front disk brakes,solid spindles,long travel front suspension- the motors will interchange too from Yerf to Dune 150. $350 sounds high unless it's in perfect shape other than the motor and he didn't butcher the swingarm.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Lurker

Well, the Dune has been sold. There is another, not running, but the kid thinks he has a frame made of gold and diamonds I think. He wants 1000, and is convinced the frame alone is worth that.

So, forward with the yerf.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

that's crazy
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Lite Contributor

i may have a spider buggy frame forsale, what part of the country are you from?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Lurker

I'm from Buffalo NY area. I'm not really looking for another project, but just saw the dune on craigslist and figured it had better suspension than the Yerf I have, and figured it was kinda cheap, but it sold so...just going to concentrate on what I have for the time being. Hardly have time to ride/work on them as it is Thanks though.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Lurker

So here's the hubs/drum brakes I plan to use. Messed around with them today and got the rubber seal off to take a look, by gently prying it out with a screwdriver. Didn't want to hurt anything in case I need it in the future. Now, I just have to find a 5/8" ID and 1-3/8 OD bearing so that I can use these ones (off the chinese 4 wheeler) instead of the ones off the polaris.

Any easy way or tricks to getting the old bearings out? A friend said to put it in the freezer first......in theory sounds like it may work....

Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

You should have a bearing supplier somewhere close-most cities do for heavy equipment,farm equipment and machinery maintenance.I have our place on speed dial!!!!
Do you have the wheels for these hubs?That's an awful big center hole for a wheel.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Lurker

Yes, I have actually 2 pairs that fit. 2 that came off the 4 wheeler the hubs were on, and 2 on the polaris 4 wheeler.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Administrator

man what a great collection. You and metalstudman are going to get along just great
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Lurker

Almost a year, and I bet you thought I had given up on these. Nothing could be further from the truth! Although they haven't moved much, and other "projects" have taken a bit of a priority....I still have both of the buggies, and am still considering a swap on the spiderbox.

One of the things I needed to get done is get my garage (read: Pole barn) in some kind of order. So, that has been my number one priority. Also, took full ownership of my house, and have begun to build a new deck....all while trying to keep the place clean (unsuccessful) have a relationship, and run a business.

Anyway, one of the things that I wanted to do in the garage is put in a cement floor. That however is a bit out of reach if I ever want to have any other hobbies (buggies). So....since I am tearing apart the deck anyway, I figured I would rebuild part of it in the garage so that I can get up off the rocks that make up the floor. (My father used to plant trees here, and when he found rocks he'd throw them in a trailer and then throw them in the garage....so....while its mostly gravel in there, there are a bunch of rocks which makes footing not too great.)

So I ended up with this: 9x16 deck work area to work on my karts.

And as of tonight painted with 2 coats of killz primer left over from when I painted my pizzeria.

Final coat will be grey garage/porch paint.

So....I really like the look of the spiderbox. I know there are some (dune) with better suspension, and more powerful etc etc....anyway...I digress. To make a long story short I bought another one. And for not a whole lot more than the heap I bought last year (which will now be subjected to a major hack job). If I told you the new one was in pristine condition would you believe me?

I couldn't believe it either. Around here, heaps of crap go for over $1,000. Well, I don't know if they sell for that much but people sure think they're gold plated when they list them on craigslist. I got a mint one for $775. I couldn't believe it. And boy does it move. It's almost scary when the front starts to float around and I'm just trying to keep it straight on the road.

Anyway, more pics coming soon, and hopefully the start of a project with the old spiderbox.

Still have the Carbide too, needs a tuneup, and all the upgraded parts (ball joints, hubs, springs) that I got for the project will be going on the new spiderbox. And I feel great about stripping the heap and storing away the extra parts for the new one too. LOL I'm rambling but I'm excited.

P.S. EXTREMELY pleased to see so many yerf projects here!!

Mike
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Long time!!! welcome back to the lunacy!!!! I love the display area you built!!!! I know it'll make a difference when working on a deck vs. dirt/gravel. Good recycling. Can't wait to see your new Spiderbox.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Lurker

Heres a few pics of the new spiderbox...these are the pics from the craigslist ad, haven't had time to take any new ones yet.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Well cared for! Nice.