BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Newbie Trailmaster 150 XRX shock question

Hi Folks,
I see many posts about custom Fox or works shocks for buggies, but i haven't really seen anyone post about an upgraded shock that bolts right on. are there no ATV shocks or Commercially available shocks that will fit right out of the box?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM

Welcome aboard "wildbob" I dont know how to answer your shock question, but I'm sure you'll get the answer here!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Heavy Contributor

Thanks bear, I'm new to buggies so I need all the guidance I can get..
Old 08-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Heavy Contributor

I believe the front shocks of the yamaha blaster will fit ur rear shocks. A lot of buggiers use them.the fronts I can't say. If you have a welder you can make things happen.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbob View Post
Hi Folks,
I see many posts about custom Fox or works shocks for buggies, but i haven't really seen anyone post about an upgraded shock that bolts right on. are there no ATV shocks or Commercially available shocks that will fit right out of the box?
Eddie is correct, the blasters seem to do very well in the rears, but the front is a different animal, and the subject of many, many, many discussions. First off, your buggy has an uneven a-arm design, while effective, and really efficient at soaking up bumps and keeping handling pretty consistent, it is not easily upgradable. If you are looking for something a bit softer, which most are, then maybe look at adding some weight to the front. That will force the spring to compress a bit, and make the ride softer. That being said, I have not seen a reliable, off the shelf upgrade for that style suspension. ATV shocks are mostly too stiff, due to the different weight ratios between ATV's and buggies, and anything soft enough, tends to be too short, and bottom out easily. There is no one easy answer, but if you search on here for a bit, you will see different options and upgrades that others have done, and see what you might like to try.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Heavy Contributor

awesome guys, thanks. not really looking to go crazy with mods as i just wanted something to blip around in with my 5 y/o (who is crazy for anything with wheels and has never even seen a go-kart) but the biggest complaint i hear is about suspension.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbob View Post
awesome guys, thanks. not really looking to go crazy with mods as i just wanted something to blip around in with my 5 y/o (who is crazy for anything with wheels and has never even seen a go-kart) but the biggest complaint i hear is about suspension.
I'm not sure how long the rears are, but the blasters are 13.5" eye to eye, that may be longer, if you mind a bit of lift in the rear. They are reasonably priced and readily available. You could search for something closer to the stock length as well, most ATV shocks are better than the factory 'pogo stick' shocks.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 08-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Heavy Contributor

Thanks Master!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Contributor

I put the front blaster shocks on the rear of my HammerHead and it made a really big difference. However, I had to move the upper shock mount up a little, but it was worth the effort. As master said, finding front shocks for these buggies is a little more involved. Hopefully some one will find one and share their findings.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.