BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Lurker

Default Helix 150 low speed trans binding up/vibration?

I just bought a used returned 2007 Helix 150 from a local store. When I drive slow just after the clutch engauges I feel a binding and vibration comming from the rear as I think it is the transmission. This is while driving straight.

I discovered the 4 nuts and bolts on the drive shaft sprocket were very loose so I tightened them. It still binds up at low speed At cruising speed it rides fine. If someone previously forced the shifting from forward to reverse could this have caused some damage. I did have to reduce the idle as it was set to high as I experienced some problem shifting. After lowering the rpm it shifted fine but still that binding up problem while driving slow. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Is this on pavement, dirt, or any time?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Lurker

I am driving on soft 4" grass, no pavement. This is not making a turn and having one wheel turn more then the other. I can hear a clunking noise when it feels like it is binding up. The rear wheels buck a little. When I go to medium speed to full throttle it runs fine, no problems. The chain was very loose. I tightened it up some.. but not to tight though.

The smaller rear sprocket from the transmission has some play on the spline shaft. I bought this for $800.00. Just wondering if it was worth it. There should be nothing wrong with it. The motor starts quickly and runs perfectly. Could the transmission need a cable adjustment forward N reverse.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Contributor

Could be a cable. I run a helper spring on my tranny. It runs from the shift arm back to what ever you can hook it to. That way the spring is pulling it to help keep it from jumping into reverse. Have you drained and refilled the fluids in the tranny? Some take greese while other take oil.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Lurker

I believe it takes gear oil. I haven't drained the transmission yet. I could do that next. I haven't had any problem with the shifter however you have a good idea on the helper spring.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Contributor

It's not the shifter so much as it wanting to jump out of drive. I get this bump from time to time where the tranny is trying to go into rev so the spring just helps to keep it i drive. Many folks have had trouble with stock fluids
Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Lurker

I think I narrowed down the problem. I drained and refilled the gear oil. It looked clean. I had my friend tighten the axle sprocket and it worked loose again. I don't think there are lock washers there. This is probably causing the binding I am feeling. I would like to buy a new sprocket and chain maybe even replace the other smaller sprocket. I took the chain off and ran the transmission forward and reverse...no problem. It's always felt like the chain binding up. I want to buy a larger sprocket with more teeth for hill climbing. Any suggestions. I appreciate the good help.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Administrator

talk to tom at SYCPowersports and see if he has a sprocket for you. You can click his banner ad at the top of this page.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Contributor

Tom is a great guy and dealer. I had to loctite my sproket. And bout every other bolt I take off.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Lurker

I found about 1/8" play right to left in the axle which means the bearings need to be replaced. Right and left hubs were not tightened and had 1/16" play in them. If I remember correctly they are not sealed bearings. Are there any sealed bearings available?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Are you saying you were able to sit behind the axle, put a hand on each end and rock it back and forth that much? It will have some play in it and same for the hubs.

If you find you need bearings, look for a local bearing shop and take the old ones with you. They will have sealed bearings for it and honestly, they should be pretty cheap.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Lurker

Yes, there was that much play. I had the rear wheels removed and found all that play in it. The 32T sprocket was loose, it had standard bolts and not locknuts. Both rear hubs had 1/16" play in them. I want to put a 39T sprocket on so I feel more comfortable replacing possibly warn out parts while I'm in that area. All the front tie rod ends need to be replaced. Everything else seems to be good. Engine runs perfect.