BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Lurker

Default How much power with GY6?

Hey guys, here soon i'm going to be overhauling my GY6 150cc engine. I'm just curious about how much power can be made with the GY6, my ultimate goal is to get around 15 to 20 HP out of it, but not sure if that's even possible. Would a 63mm BB kit, performance head, stroker crank, cam, exhaust, intake, and rejet be able to get close to that mark? I just want to know about where i'll be at powerwise before I start investing a lot of money into this rebuild.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Supporting Vendor

Keep in mind the specs given for the GY6 is bench rated @ 14 HP and chasis rated @ 9HP. I have been looking for acess to a dyno for some time but no one around here has a small dyno. By what I have done to my engine I figure mathmatically I am somewhere near double HP for this engine. There is a formuls online to figure horsepower but is set up for 1/4 and 1/8 mile runs so you have to find someone really proficient to tweek the formulas to fit a shorter run. I personally would not recomend the 63mm cylinder since these kits have material cut from the protruding portion of the sleeve for it to fit a bored out case. Also do not use the 61mm drop in kit for the same reason. That portion of the sleeve is where all the remaining heat is transfered then cooled by the splashing oil. This is also where most side force is applied during the reversing transition of the piston. There is a lot of side pressure in this area then add the thin sleeve with the added heat it will eventually end in disaster. The exception is if you were to send the kit out and have the cast sleeve cut out and a quality steel sleeve made and pressed in, but on top of the price for the kit you will add 250.00 to do this. I will recomend a quality 62mm kit but the case will have to be bored out for this to fit. You will want the 60mm or 61mm crank. If you are going to push it to the limits exceeding 8500 rpm constantly I would recomend one with the forged rod. Some do sell a 6mm and 8mm stroked crank. I have the 6mm in my buggy but it came as a kit with a longer cylinder to compensate for the taller deck height needed. I cannot find these kits anymore. The 2mm or 3mm stroke will require a spacer to acheive proper deck height. The 6mm and 8mm if spacers are used the sleeve is too short on the lower end and will be a problem in time for the more you space the jug to acheive proper deck height the sleeve is lifted from case and piston transition is too close to bottom of sleeve. Most of your power will come from the head, cam, exhaust and fuel system, but you have to think of where you will require most of your power. For example if your into climbing hills you will want your powerband to be closer to the bottom but if you are looking for top end on trails you will want the powerband higher. This will be determined largly by the type of cam and if a port and polish is done to the head, how the porting is done. Hope this has answered most of your questions, if not give me a call and I can set you in the right direction.

TOM

662-301-1563
Old 06-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Lurker

Default 15-20 HP is Possible for GY6 Engine with the 66mm crank Forextreme see Dyno

Hi there,

it`s no Problem to get the 15-20 HP on GY6 150ccm Engines.

Last edited by hansi; 09-30-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Are you advertising or informing? You say you only need the forextreme kit- but then say you need to machine the piston a little. What's the special piston cost? Also when you say 2/3 throttle- what RPM were you running(7277)? Where does the ALU spacer go? And by the dyno chart this stroker crank performs best on the bottomend only?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Lurker

Hello,

I Inform only.

Last edited by hansi; 09-30-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks- I have a much better understanding of your process, goals & parts configuration. Post a vid of your dyno when it's functioning for us to see. Will your dyno show/document the RPM's?
Old 06-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Lurker

Hello.

Last edited by hansi; 09-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I don't run GY6's anymore but still have a great interest for getting real-life HP.I'm looking forward to your results.