BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Contributor

Default Buggy corrosion

My buggy is going on 6yrs old and is showing age on some places.There is an area just the below seats that needs sanded for rust and painted and the same on the right headlight area.Will try NAPA to get green paint to match as close as possible. mancoman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (97.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (81.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (87.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (82.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Power User

Having spent a better part of my life working in shops restoring rusty buckets of parts back into high dollar exotic and muscle cars, i can say that i truly despite rust. One of the best things you can do for your buggy is check all of the tubing welds and weld shut any junctions that aren't fully welded, including the entire perimeter of the floorpan. follow that up with a bead of caulk going all the way around the inside of the drainpan where it meets the tubes (where yours has rust going on) Add some floor drain holes and cap off any open ended tubes with plastic plugs of weld them off.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

This what you need: http://www.por15.com/
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Default blast it!

Well i got to say im lucky in that im a plural component coatings special- ist "oh fancy" but seriosly first thing u should do if ur serious is take it apart and powder blast it then solvent clean with some denatured alcohol n then coat it with some type of poly component the easiest of which would be like a truck bed lining makes for one tuff buggy n last forever!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Contributor

Thanks guys for the info on paint and rust treatment.The rest of the floorboard looks fine but wonder why it's rusting bad in the area in the photo?mancoman
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancoman View Post
The rest of the floorboard looks fine but wonder why it's rusting bad in the area in the photo?mancoman
Pin holes in the welds not filled. allows moisture in to bare metal. The resulting rust spreads under the powdercoat like cancer.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Contributor

What about the floorpan under the buggy?Truck bedliner would be a good spray to protect this area but I have no jack to hoist buggy up. mancoman