BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Lurker

Default Help with Yerf Dog 3206.....suspension setup

Hello - New to the forum and new to buggies but loving it so far!

I bought a gx150 that has been modified........rear swing arm was cut and longer swing arm welded. Honda GX610 v-twin instealled with snowmobile primary and secondary clutches along with some type of gear box (off a 4 wheeler maybe?) with F/N/R.

My question for those that have put larger tires on gx150's.......I have 19x7x8 tires on new rims with 4 on 4 bolt hubs. It appears that the kart has stock spindles and everything is set up and working but when you look at the cart from the front, the tires are setup in an upside down V shape. I am worried that this is going to cause severe uneven wear to the tires and possibly harm bearings on the hubs quicker. I am sure that it does help with cornering but I am unsure why it is this way. The kart has the offset a-arms and the spindles are offset as well. I am thinking it is because the springs may be forcing the wheels this way? Measured the springs that are on the front and they are about 12" eye to eye roughly. I am wondering if someone put the rear shocks on the front? Ground clearance is great but seems like it is maxing out the tie rod ends and causing the wheel problem?

Second question......rear has 25x8x12 tires on it with what appears to be lawn tractor rims? I am wondering if I have an original axle or if it has been changed out. There are 2 spockets on the axle now.....one towards the passenger side (not used) and one towards the drivers side that is being used. For those with original setup on gx150, does yours use a sprocket towards the passenger side if looking from the rear?

I am thinking of getting some different shocks for the front that are maybe 10.5" or 11". Hopefully can find some that actually work well instead of the pogo sticks that are on there now!

Thanks for any help that you can give on the front suspension/tires setup!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3872.jpg (89.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by onkyo; 06-17-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum- You've come to the right place for these issues- start reading the threads about Yerfdog spiderbox's and the GY6 150 section for mod's and clarity to your questions. I can see that your buggy has stock ball joints. Check out Ckau's mod to correct your front end issue. Your concern for wear on the tires and bearing isn't really an issue since these buggies are so light.Stock shocks on the front was 9.5", I run 12" shocks on mine but you've got to do some work to make this be correct geometry. Also 25" rear tires are pretty tall for this buggy but okay if it still throttles fine. Your double sprocket isn't stock. Get a pic of your axle set-up for us to see.